Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reunion gig with the old band (kind of)

EddiePlaysBass

Earlier in the year I got a request from my old rockabilly band's guitar player: "Let's put the band back together!" I told him if he could get the singer and drummer on board, I would go along with it - thinking that at least the singer never would agree. After all, five years ago the singer and guitarist had a huge falling out which caused us to disband ...

So we got back together again :grin:

So far, the four of us have had 3 rehearsals, and the first two made us wonder if we should sack the guitarist (oh irony). He has spent the past five years playing mostly garage / punk music and it showed, in a bad way . He's never been particularly strong in the rhythm department and these past years did not help. But the third rehearsal, everything seemed to "click" and we came near the "old" sound again. Our singer's wife heard about it and then asked if we would play her 30th birthday party, as a first reunion show. We all agreed ... except the drummer, who would be on holiday.

With that in mind we decided to go a different route: take 10 songs and do an "unplugged" set. Singer would go full acoustic (no amp), guitarist would play clean guitar (and blues harp and a rhythm box on one tune) and yours truly on the electric upright.

We had one rehearsal and much to our surprise it went really well! We added a new song (Johnny Cash' "Big River") and a song which the wife would share lead vocals ("T For Texas") and the singer's oldest son (6 years old) sang lead on "Everybody Needs Somebody", accompanied only by his dad.

It wasn't exactly a perfect performance. At one point I heard three rhythms going on simultaneously. Made me miss the drummer. With him, there'd still be three rhythms but at least he and I would be playing the same one! Also, the guitarist soloed over my one solo spot (Stray Cat Strut - gotta have the walking bass solo!) which threw me off.

But all in all, it was a hoot, went over really well and we are thinking of applying this format to our regular shows, going forward. We'll need to see how to fit in the drummer, but he plays guitar as well so perhaps we can have him do that - or percussion. To be discussed.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have the drummer bring just a snare, if he's good at shuffles that will be more than enough to keep time. I've also seen acoustic players use what is known as a cocktail kit, very compact.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Not sure what is (or is not) "worth it" but I figure this band is my "fun" band. I get to stretch out a bit and try different things.

I could clash with the guitarist over several items but I have opted not to. If he wants to try his hand at leading this band, I will gladly sit back and eat my popcorn. Nor do I have any desire to lead them myself.

Neither the guitarist nor the singer are consciously aware of it but in the end it is the singer who makes certain calls re: set list content and playing order. All I do is tweak everyone a bit to see if I can move things along (and hopefully in a direction that I like / want / can live with).

As long as it remains fun, this time around. I can't let it get to me anymore the way it used to ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived