Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can A Sense of Rhythm Be Taught?

BbAltered

As a guy who grew up with music teachers for parents and now works with some very good keys players, I'd say a combination of approaches is the best way to go. There should be a balance between regimen stuff and playing for fun. Too much of the former and they'll simply grow to hate practicing. Too much of the latter and they'll never improve.

The trick is to dial in the right amount of regimen so as to yield results without turning the kid off altogether. Once the kid starts to notice results, they'll begin to resent the regimen practicing a bit less. They might never actually enjoy it (which is fine) but will grow to appreciate its value.

Have him practice hands separately to both a metronome and with recordings. Even simple scales to start, then maybe moving on to the boogie woogie bass left hand.

Even now when I learn certain types of pieces (Dr. John and Jerry Lee type stuff) I often practice hands separately.

If the balance is right, the "fun" playing should improve. Eventually you'll see a positive feedback cycle - once he's good enough to play along (somewhat comfortably) with a recording his playing should really ramp up.

Good luck!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remove the instrument from the equation and have him clap to a song he likes. Then have him tap on his knees with two hands. First the same pattern then L R L R then have him do eighths in one hand and quarters in the other. Then reverse.

There's sense of tempo and steady beat and then there is L/R coordination, and then there is finger control. You're just doing something too hard for him at the moment. Back off and either find something easier or simplify what you're working on. IMHO

this.

Archived