Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wrap It Up: guess the soloists!

Dave Bryce

Normally, I'd put this one in the Shameless Plugs section, but this is too much fun.

Check out this original track I've just finished recording. It's a redux of a tune I did during the 80s - as a matter of fact, the TR808 loop that starts the tune and the audio clip that ends it were both lifted from a cassette of the original track (hence the Actual Tape Hiss - not a plug-in). Same singer, too...but that's about it. Much better version in general - funky little track, with a few jazz fusion tendencies here and there. :thu:

Here's why this one is extra fun:

There are three soloist in this tune. Two of them are well established forum members. The third has posted here before, but is not a regular member. All three are fabulous musicians - I am delighted (and lucky) to have such talented people play on my tunes. :)

So...guess the soloists. :poke::D

Extra credit: one of the soloists appears twice (not including the outro, so three times, really) during the tune - what instrument is he playing? And what is the synth doing the lead at the end of the tune? :idk:

Wrap It Up

Note: the track is unmastered at the moment. :idea:

dB

P.S. if you're really curious, here's the original version.

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll throw some speculations out there, just for grits and shins..

The two (three) time soloist sounds a lot like Jim Alfredson - similar to the lead takes he did on THEO. And though the synth has a Moogish vibe, there's something rather 'Korg' about it; so my best guess for all of the synth leads up until the outro is a KingKorg.

Meanwhile the synth on the outro screams 'Dave Smith', so unless it's some very clever work on the aforementioned KingKorg, I'd guess it to be one of the newer Prophets. Prophet 6 perhaps, or possibly a Prophet 12; seems to have newer sound and digital sheen to it.... There's an end-of-Sunset-Grill solo vibe happening, which I think was originally a Prophet 5..

Guessing the outro soloist to be the guy who has posted here, but is not an established regular. There's a Jeff Lorber vibe to it, so I'll throw that idea into the ring. Also curious about the 'Rhodes' solo (Lounge Lizard, I'm guessing; might be Scarbee though..). Guessing that the other established member soloist covered that part, and likely one of the very experienced LA cats that hangs here..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

No guesses apart from Allen? :idk:

Okay...

If you can identlfy what the unusual sounding instrument is before the EP and synth solos and in the outro, it'll make it much easier to identify the forum member. It is not a keyboard.

The entire synth solo is a DSI synth. That is not Jeff Lorber playing it, though.

Jim Alfredson does not appear on this tune.

dB

i wouldn't dare even hazard a guess as I have absolutely no idea, but the track sounds great, Dave, with some excellent playing. Congratulations! :)
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

The EP solo is most definitely Jeff Lorber.. the synth-lead, perhaps Derek Sherinian..?? Can't name the keyboards used, tho. There is also what appears to be a guitar patched thru a Leslie, or Leslie sim of some sort.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

The EP solo is most definitely Jeff Lorber.

Correct. :2thu:

He is the one who has posted here before, but is not a regular member.

There is also what appears to be a guitar patched thru a Leslie, or Leslie sim of some sort.

Close, but no cigar. :idk:

dB

Nord Lead!

No Nord keyboards were harmed during the making of this track. :Python:

Synths used (other than the solo): Kronos, PC3k8, PEK, MOTIF and a bunch of V-Synth XT (non-TR808 electronic rhythm track, "S&H" comp track, vocoder).

dB

If you can identlfy what the unusual sounding instrument is before the EP and synth solos and in the outro, it'll make it much easier to identify the forum member. It is not a keyboard.

Violin played by Cygnus64? (though he hasn't posted here in quite a while, miss that guy)

Violin played by Cygnus64? (though he hasn't posted here in quite a while, miss that guy)

Bingo. Well done! :w00t:

So, now we're left with the synth solo at the end... :)

dB

Thanks for the kind words on the track, guys! :wave:

Re: the last soloist - no guesses? C'moooon - how many people in this forum can shred like that? :idk::poke:

dB

I know, right? But I'm completely sure I didn't play on that.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

OK, I really suck at this but I'll go with Jordan for the solo? If not I probably know the person and am unaware that they can work a synth so musically like that. At least I nailed it being the PEK assuming that is the DSI synth you refer to. Before I saw that it was Jeff Lorber on EP I played that solo back about a dozen times just to figure out his transitions - so simple but so cool.

Nicely done Dave! :2thu:

Thanks for the kind words on the track, guys! :wave:

Re: the last soloist - no guesses? C'moooon - how many people in this forum can shred like that? :idk::poke:

dB

I know, right? But I'm completely sure I didn't play on that.

Yeah, I was wondering in a similar vein, if I had sleep recorded some leads for dB :puff:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

:boing: Woohoo! What do I win? :D

"A dream date (in kneepads) with Paul Williams".

Can we get another hint?

Technology is an amazing thing. People don't have to be in the same city to record together. Or the same country. :)

dB

Archived