Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BP Forum Back Alive!

Editor Boy

Dear Forum Users,

We apologize for discontinuing the Music Player Forums without advance notice or warning.

We've absolutely taken into account your disappointment, and, as a result, we are turning the forums back on in their current forms temporarily.

Please understand that we made the shutdown decision abruptly because we have serious security concerns with the hardware and software that houses the forums. Other sites in our group have been under almost constant attack from hackers trying to gain access and shut us down.

In addition, we have not had a direct business case for keeping the forums active, so it seemed quite reasonable from an operations standpoint to discontinue them and not have to worry about hackers or other security issues.

However, we agree with you all that we acted too fast.

Regarding the future of the forums, we promise to either build a business case and implement another hardware and software solution, or find another business that would be willing to house the archives and continue the forums.

We also promise to notify you in advance of any change in the status of the forums.

Thanks for all your feedback. We ARE listening.

Sincerely,

Bill Amstutz, VP, General Manager NewBay Music Group.

Michael Molenda, Editorial Director

Gino Robair, Editor, KEYBOARD

Sarah Jones, Editor, ELECTRONIC MUSICIAN

Chris Jisi, Editor, BASS PLAYER

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the explanation and for listening.

I would understand if you are unable to find a "business case" for keeping the forums up and running. If that does indeed turn out to be the case, your willingness to consider finding a host for archives is appreciated since there are some discussions here that have provided useful information that I have returned to from time to time as a resource. Also, giving folks some heads up that the forums will be closed down allows them to make sure they can connect with one another in the future should they so desire. (A thread for sharing social media presence, etc., seems to be in play now in this regard.)

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I think that the forums are an asset for the magazine, in terms of expertise, and hopefully audience. If the names that appear on the mag would leave track of themselves here, the audience could be easily improved.

I don't know the numbers, but I hope the online forum can make some money for the magazine, as most other forums do.

I understand that running on a dated platform might be a serious security problem, therefore, I would investigate different solutions, which might be moving to a newer platform, or maybe moving outside, for example in Google groups, after a suitable agreement with the big G.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Archived