Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cobalt strings

Michele C.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have put cobalt strings on my bass in september, and I am beginning to like them now. Brightest is finally just right, while the midrange has a lot of character.

Similar experiences?

Never tried them or even heard of them, sorry to say. Are they round wound? Flatwound? What varieties are available? Would they work for acoustic? Can you expand on them a bit? The way you describe them sounds intriguing because I like a lot of midrange character...not to much tingy brightness though.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Never tried them or even heard of them, sorry to say. Are they round wound? Flatwound? What varieties are available? Would they work for acoustic? Can you expand on them a bit? The way you describe them sounds intriguing because I like a lot of midrange character...not to much tingy brightness though.

Right.

Cobalt strings are a new product of Ernie Ball. They are available as round wound or flat wound. The rounds are veeeery bright, reeeeally bright. I found them so bright, that I start to like them one or two months after the time I would have changed an other set with a new one.

They say the flat wounds have the zing of round wounds. I have not tried them, but the tests sound interesting. Here is one test.

[video:youtube]

I think I might try the flat wounds some time on my jazz bass, or maybe on the Yamaha fretless, when I get tired of the Thomasticks which are on it.

I am not sure there is an acoustic version.

The next video illustrates quite well the body in the midrange and the nastiness of the highs of the flat wounds, including a lot of fret buzz.

Randy Jackson, on the other hand likes them a lot, and I do too, on his bass, with his playing style. On my passive bass, I thought they were really too much. My instrument is bright enough with regular strings.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

• 5 weeks later...
I used Cobalts for while, really liked the tone but on my bass, a MM SR5 HH, but I couldn't control the finger/string noise without a lot of effort. Sometimes I'd slide into a note and string noise would be louder than the tone, so I stopped using them and went back to Power Slinkys. I also tried the cobalt flat wounds, they do sound really good, I would say they're about three quarters of the way towards round wounds, the main thing I didn't like about them is I just didn't get the aggressive growl out of my Stingray that I am used to, so once again I went back to the Power Slinkys. I think they would be good for someone that prefers and normally uses flat wounds and would like a brighter sound, or I think they would sound great on fretless.

Archived