Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VB3 alternative or 32Lives?

Hobo

I've not updated any of my 3 macs purely because of VB3 and no 64 bit support. My MainStage has been working flawlessly for years as my live set up.

I'm not aware of anything else that comes close as an organ plugin, or have I missed anything?

And those of you using 32Lives to run VB3, how have you found it? I'm a bit unsure of whether to trust it on live gigs, plus there's the $99 cost to factor in.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some people have found the new B3 emulator in MainStage 3 (and Logic Pro X) to be satisfactory. Not as great as VB3, but very close.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If you mainly use VB3 on its own then it is OK wrapped in 32 Lives. On my system an i7 with 16 gig of ram I get CPU spikes of up to 230% when a patch with VB3 first loads in MainStage 3. No audio issues but as I use a lot of splits and for some patches have other CPU intensive modelled AU's like Pianoteq on the other split with VB3 I decided that I was not comfortable compromising an otherwise bullet proof set up.

I then spent quite a bit of time ABing VB3 with Vintage B3 (updated in MS3). I have tweaked the Vintage B3 percussion, key click and EQ'd it to the point I am happy with it.

I now have it where there are some aspects of Vintage B3 I like better, less 'muddy' in the lower octaves, better overdrive, similar Leslie sim. But there are subtle differences in drawbar interaction that I think VB3 does better.

I can hear this through headphones, in a band mix these are details that get lost. What have learnt through this exercise is that the way these are EQ'd out of the box seems to be the biggest difference between them. For me the difference is not great enough to warrant taking the risk of VB3 crashing the set up.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

A new plug-in called DB-33 has just been released. Might be worth a butchers:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/12/08/tonewheel-organ-on-the-new-alesis-vx49/

Downloaded it and gave it a spin after it was mentioned here several months ago. A one trick pony, does extreme overdrive well otherwise does not come close to VB3 or Vintage B3.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

BTW as noted in the MainStage thread if you are planning on upgrading your OS to Yosemite MS2 will still run, including VB3, without 32 Lives in an otherwise 64 bit system.

This is an easter egg previously only known by Joe who steadfastly refuses to upgrade to Logic X. :wave:

Markay that's very interesting, I'm not sure if Yosemete is still available though? Does this easter egg also apply to El Capitan?

I agree DB33 doesn't sound great to my ears based on the demos.

I used to use EVB3 and didn't like it much, how has it changed recently?

Thanks!!

Does Mainstage support more than two channels of output if you have a suitable interface? That would make it easier to use a Ventilator, for example...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Markay that's very interesting, I'm not sure if Yosemete is still available though? Does this easter egg also apply to El Capitan?

I agree DB33 doesn't sound great to my ears based on the demos.

I used to use EVB3 and didn't like it much, how has it changed recently?

Thanks!!

Don't know about El Capitan. There are other compatabilty issues with 3rd party AU's in El Capitan so I have not upgraded. The ideal time to upgrade is usually at the end of a cycle, then you have the current version available for download in your account and the option to upgrade to the next one once it is all good. You could back up your current machine, upgrade to El Capitan and see if MS2 is there and if VB3 works. If it does then download and install MS3. They can co-exist on the same system.

You can also export your MS2 concerts, 'with assets' and import them into MS3. Best to make sure that you first delete patches in MS2 that contain AU's that are not already installed in MS3, VB3 for example.

MS3 and Logic X included a rewritten EVB3, now called Vintage VB3, new synths and now Camel Alchemy. Plus it is up to 3.2 so the bugs have been sorted.

Does Mainstage support more than two channels of output if you have a suitable interface? That would make it easier to use a Ventilator, for example...

The output routings are endless so this would be doable. But the Vintage B3 leslie sim is pretty good and has more tweaking options than the VB3 sim. Also you have the option of using L'otary or the Melda rotary sim. I have L'otary but don't use it live as it is CPU hungry and live I cannot hear the difference over the Logic sim. Studio use might be different.

I use VB3 with 32Lives and L'Otary. A couple of points:

1). Until 3 years ago I used MainStage on all my gigs. It was 'common knowledge' then that you should always load each of your patches before playing.

2). VB3 and 32Lives works seamlessly together. No problems, ever.

3). L'Otary is a CPU hog if you use the highest setting. For live work the low-CPU setting sounds almost identical.

IMHO

2). VB3 and 32Lives works seamlessly together. No problems, ever.

3). L'Otary is a CPU hog if you use the highest setting. For live work the low-CPU setting sounds almost identical.

This is my experience as well. VB3 w/32 Lives has been seamless.

That's good to hear. Shame the wrapper costs more than the plugin.

Anyone else using Logic's Vintage B3 who can comment if the engine was changed from the EVB3? I only have Logic 9 / MS2, but am interested in MS3 if the sound is much improved. I found EVB3 a little thin and weedy for my tastes.

This is an easter egg previously only known by Joe who steadfastly refuses to upgrade to Logic X. :wave:
Cute, but I've been using Logic Pro X and MainStage 3 for a while now. :)

If you open MainStage 2 in 32-bit mode in El Capitan, you should be able to use VB3 as it does validate. The 32-bit AU bridge does not seem to be working for me ATM, but I didn't dig into it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived