Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC3 Bi-directional USB Midi? aka "USB Host"

analogholic

Ok, so I want to use my KMI Softstep pedal with the Kurz.

I have the Midi Expander for the Softstep but wanted to know if I could connect it via USB to the PC3. Less stuff to mess with.

That would require a USB B to USB B Cable...not very common I noticed(at least in my neck of the Woods.

So would this work?

The Softstep manual says:

"I have a synth/pedal/amp/rack/etc. with a USB port on it. Can I

just plug the SoftStep directly into it?

It depends.

In order for the SoftSteps USB connection to work properly, it must be connected to a device

that can act as a USB host. Host devices almost always have a USB A connector on them (the

more rectangular-shaped connector, like the ones on a computer). A non-host device, or

slave, generally has a USB B connector (the more square-shaped one, like on the SoftStep).

So, typically, if a device has a USB A connector on it there is a good chance the SoftStep will

work with it when directly connected via USB. If a device has a USB B connector on it that

generally means it wont work."

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the best of my knowledge, the Kronos is the only hardware synth that can act as a host, mainly because it is basically a PC in there.

Regarding this statement:

"So, typically, if a device has a USB A connector on it there is a good chance the SoftStep will work with it when directly connected via USB."

Not really accurate. Depending on the model, the USB "A" port is for flashdrives to update firmware, load and save sounds, and record audio from the keyboard. Very few devices other than PCs/Macs/IOS and a few specialty boxes can actually act as a host.

To the best of my knowledge, the Kronos is the only hardware synth that can act as a host, mainly because it is basically a PC in there.

And accordingly, it has both A and B connectors on it, so it does not break "the rule."

AFAIK, this would be the corrected version of their statement:

If a device has a USB B connector on it that

A and B connectors are strictly defined as host and slave. There are USB devices that can go both ways, but they do not use A or B connectors, AFAIK they must use the micro-USB connector.

http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just realized that my IPad (with Set List Maker) can send program change to the Kurz via the USB. That means that the PC3 can receive MIDI via the USB ?!?!?

Would it be any difference in this situation?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

The way I'd look at it is that any USB-based connection has to plug into something with a 'brain'. That could be a laptop, a tablet/smartphone, or something PC based like a Kronos or Receptor. There are also some standalone boxes that will host and act as the brain - I'm not too familiar with these (check out the Kenton MIDI USB host, and I think Keith Mcmillan itself makes a 'MIDI expander').

In the case of the set list maker, the iPad is acting as the USB host. Yes, the PC3 receives MIDI over USB but there has to be a 'brain' coding and decoding the USB signals.

Plugging a USB based controller like the softstep into another controller like the PC3 which AFAIK can't act as a host (brain) won't work.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

In the case of the set list maker, the iPad is acting as the USB host. Yes, the PC3 receives MIDI over USB but there has to be a 'brain' coding and decoding the USB signals.

Yes of course :facepalm:

OK, back to hooking up the Midi Expander :crazy:

Arthur Schopenhauer

I have the Midi Expander for the Softstep but wanted to know if I could connect it via USB to the PC3. Less stuff to mess with

I think Keith Mcmillan itself makes a 'MIDI expander').

:blush:

Whops I now realize that I was busy at work and only skimmed your question and treated it as a noob question. Facepalm rightly earned.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

And accordingly, it has both A and B connectors on it, so it does not break "the rule."

AFAIK, this would be the corrected version of their statement:

If a device has a USB B connector on it that

A and B connectors are strictly defined as host and slave. There are USB devices that can go both ways, but they do not use A or B connectors, AFAIK they must use the micro-USB connector.

http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego

Having an "A" port doesn't mean it can act as a host. An "A" port can either be a device (flashdrive) or host. With the exception of the Kronos, on any keyboard out right now the A port is for a device.

Having an "A" port doesn't mean it can act as a host. An "A" port can either be a device (flashdrive) or host. With the exception of the Kronos, on any keyboard out right now the A port is for a device.

When you put a flashdrive in the A port of a non-Kronos keyboard, the keyboard is still the host device, and the flash drive is the slave device. The implementation/functionality is not the same as on a computer (or a Kronos), but it is still functioning as a kind of host. But it's a good point, that the mere presence of an A port does not mean it can host the same slave devices that a computer can.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived