Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Made a decision today

EddiePlaysBass

As some of you may remember, about a year ago I quit my band. It was not a good one, and I was not having fun. I decided to take a year off from playing in bands, and focus on other stuff which needed my attention at the time. That year has passed. I have practiced very little bass, but accomplished other things: finished building the house, and started working out more which led to me losing about 20 lb / 9 to 10 kg.

A short while ago I started looking for bands to join. But some things are going on in my personal life, which require attention. And time. Without too much details, my significant other really needs me at this point in her / our life. As for myself, I currently benefit more from the sports / weight loss than from playing music or being in a band.

So I have decided to carry on doing what I have done this past year:

- run a lot

- go to the gym a lot

- play squash a lot

- practice bass when I can

- take lessons occasionally (the Bass Camps, mainly)

I am considering overcoming my fear of jam sessions and attending those, in order to kep my interaction skills up. But no bands, for at least another year. I do not have the time or energy for it now.

Let's see where this gets me ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Consider putting yourself out there as substitute when people need it. I do that with a band and it's a nice way to pick up some good gigs occasionally with no commitment. I've never practiced with them and have no obligation to take a gig if I'm not available, I've done probably a dozen gigs with them in the last year or so.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Take care of what's most important to you, David. The music will always be there for you when you have time, be it practicing on your own, jamming with friends (or strangers), or joining a band again.

As the Jethro Tull tune goes, "Life's A Long Song".

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Dave, if your livelihood doesn't depend on you playing bass, I, based on personal experience, encourage you to not commit to any music related endeavours unless you can really dedicate the time needed to properly accomplish what is needed to get things done. Otherwise you'll have to half-ass it, and when it's music time, your head will already be somewhere else, leaving you with a resentment towards playing.

What's important to note, not all things require hours and hours of your uncontested time, so if you can find a musical outlet that fits into your schedule you should go for it, playing can be a real boost to your mental well being!

-P

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

In the words of John Lennon, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans".

Sometimes you just need to go with what's happening in your life. It takes a lot to recognize when you need to reconsider your personal priorities. Especially when it comes to making music. One thing that I think many non-musicians fail to grasp is that music is more of a vocation for some than a hobby. And breaking away from that to focus on your life is not an insignificant thing to do. But I've done it myself. Sometimes that is what you need to do. Music will be there for you when you're ready to get back to it.

I am considering overcoming my fear of jam sessions and attending those, in order to kep my interaction skills up. But no bands, for at least another year. I do not have the time or energy for it now.

Let's see where this gets me ...

DO THIS!

Before I took my sabbatical I was playing in a pretty awesome band. And it pained me terribly to step away from playing with them. But when things in my life had stabilized I was able to start playing a little more. And jam sessions provided a great outlet to do that without the commitment of being in a band.

Open mics and jams also have some added benefits. First, meeting some new people/musicians. Sessions like these are great for getting to know some musicians outside of your usual network. You're undoubtedly going to learn some new material, which is always an added bonus. And your ability to improvise is going to develop in some great ways, too.

This situation may turn into something good. Look at this as an opportunity to change or shift your focus.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Paul, I added you to FB - there's a recent picture there from last weekend's Bass Camp. I tried uploading it to my old website but forgot the password for the server :D

Currently, I really want to and need to focus mainly on other things aside from music. The Bass Camps I am attending are costly, but worth every penny for several reasons, one being they keep me practising and learning.

But I injured my left foot and hip during last week's trainings so perhaps this week I will focus on bass some more :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived