Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iMini polyphony 3 notes WTF???

analogholic

Got the iMini and toyed around with it.

Ok, it models the Minimoog which obviously is a monophonic synth, BUT since the virtual version has polyphony it blows my mind that's only three notes ?!?

I mean, can easily have 8 notes with iSEM.

This was posted about two years ago at the Arturia forum:

http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=12622.0

Where the developers says that an IPad 3 or 4 might be able to do more and that they might be able to increase the polyphony in a future update.

Two years later I use an IPad Air 2 and still have 3 notes polyphony. Wtf??)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The iPad one can do one note polyphony, and you eek out a few more notes with newer iPad which of course has better CPU and in some cases more RAM.

There is a term for this issue... It's referred to as crap code. They haven't invested any development hours in optimizing/improving performance. Not sure why, it's either a poor seller or since is based on a monophonic synth, they figure a few extra voices is gravy anyway, so why spend time on it? Only the devs can answer your question. Shoot them an email.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

To my ears, iMini has a much more punchy "in-your-face" raw sound than the iSEM. I love them both but for very different reasons. Perhaps Arturia was modeling iMini more to be paraphonic with the three oscillators and modeling Oberheim's 8-Voice capability with the iSEM?

Yeah...it's a ten dollar app....but so is iSEM.

Didn't buy iMini for polyphony first hand, but once again since they bothered enough to have it there, why not make it useful?

Hell, even 5 notes would do it.

More whining, played it from my Alesis Micron and pitch bend steps

as hell. Was pretty sure that the Micron sends some low resolution pb.

When I played iSEM with it, much smoother.

As Rabid pointed out, they don't seem to give a phuck...ten dollars or not

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Yep, they don't care. I'd rather see them focus their attention on their controllers, analog synths, and pro-level analog emulations rather than toy apps for iPad. Y'know, stuff that some of us rely on to earn a living.

YMMV of course.

As a matter of fact, one of my intentions of getting an iPad WAS to incorporate it in my live rig making a living. Once again, the ISEM is dope. According to Arturia it's the same code. Don't know if it differs at all from the VST version. Used the iPad with my RME babyface and it sounds killer with some apps. So it's not only a toy.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I recall Glen Darcy (vp of device management for Arturia) posting a critique of iOS sound limitations and how distortion is inherently present in iPad's audio chain shortly after iSEM was released. Of course I cannot find that vid now for a link. At the time, programming for the iProphet VS was probably already in process so Arturia went ahead with it's release. However with the conclusions of this minute sound quality limitation discovery, I'd be quite surprised If Arturia bothered to release anymore iOS emulations.

If there is any short coming in the iPad's DA conversion, headphone amp, what have you... this is easily bypassed by using an audio interface, apogee is a good place to start.

Tablets are just computers with a touch screen instead of a keyboard/track-pad. If your laptop audio sux you get an audio interface, same holds true with your tablet.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If there is any short coming in the iPad's DA conversion, headphone amp, what have you... this is easily bypassed by using an audio interface, apogee is a good place to start.

Tablets are just computers with a touch screen instead of a keyboard/track-pad. If your laptop audio sux you get an audio interface, same holds true with your tablet.

Exactly!

When I compared listening to music from the iPad directly from its headphone out and via

the RME Babyface, it was a big difference. iPhone is even worse (Will get a ZuperDAC or some similar mini device to be able to enjoy listening to music). My guess is that the DA but especially the headphone amp sucks. It's funny how apple cheap out on these stuff.

OK, 99 % of customers won't give a shit listening to 128 Kbps MP3:s thru their crappy iPhone headsets...but anyway....

Arthur Schopenhauer

Archived