Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord MIDI brain teaser

Heartbeat

Interestingly, I can get control pedal and sustain to work with Midi right away, but the rotary speed is not working. Both the Stage2 manual and the Electro 3 manual say it's CC # is 82 for rotary speed. Any idea what might be wrong here?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interestingly, I can get control pedal and sustain to work with Midi right away, but the rotary speed is not working.

I think at least for the Stage 2, the rotary is considered to be a global effect and is therefor only controlled by the Global Midi Channel, so it won't send/receive any CC information on the Panel A and B midi channels.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

A couple of thoughts:

1. Could you use the NS2's Extern section to send MIDI to the E3? If you (can) zone it out of the way somewhere where you're not going to hit the notes, it will just sit there sending CC information (sustain, rotary, swell etc.)/quote]

I do this all the time with my Korg M3 & Stage 2 rig. I have a sustain and expression connected only to the Stage and then I use the Nord Extern Section to control the Korg when needed. A good thing is to disable Expression/Foot controller for the Extern Section and use set the Extern midi CC to 11 instead. Then use the expression morph to control this - then you can set a max/min range for the pedal and even run it in reverse if you like :thu:

Another great thing I use is an iConnectMidi 4+ as the central midi hub of the rig. If you can afford it this box will solve most of your midi problems. For each of the four DIN MIDI-ports and all the virtual iOS/USB and LAN ports you can rechannelize, filter out all kinds of midi data, remap up to eight midi-CC's and more - simply a great product! The only downside is that the DIN-ports do not support MIDI voltages, not even 3.3 volts, so it won't power Midi Solutions boxes.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Another great thing I use is an iConnectMidi 4+ as the central midi hub of the rig. If you can afford it this box will solve most of your midi problems.

A Windows 8 tablet+2X2 interface costs less than an iConnectMidi 4+, and provides infinitely more flexibility(caveat: my personal experience is with laptops, but should work with tablets as well). Not that I'd recommend either for the OP's specific issue, merely pointing out that the Win tablet provides far more value at lesser investment. Caveat: Make sure it's a full Win 8 OS, not RT.

Beyond the specific issue in the OP, it can also be used to overcome several of the Nord's other limitations. Like having zones/split points/layers wherever you want them. The creative possibilities are endless, almost like having another synth engine.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Another great thing I use is an iConnectMidi 4+ as the central midi hub of the rig. If you can afford it this box will solve most of your midi problems.

A Windows 8 tablet+2X2 interface costs less than an iConnectMidi 4+

That's a really cheap tablet then... The iConnectMidi4+ costs $199 and a 2x2 midi interface usually is at least $50, so that means that you have to find a Win8 tablet for less than $149...

And in my experience the often the most flexible solution is the least user friendly. The iConnectMidi is of the set-it-and-forget-it kind. You do all your settings once and store them in the units flash memory. Next time you just turn the power on and it's working as you expect. With a windows based system you have to boot windows, start an application and so on, before you can even start playing. Yes, you can solve a lot of it by using autostart and scripting, but again - it's not a simple solution for the average user.

Then if you have only two MIDI units and have no need for USB-MIDI to 5 pin DIN-MIDI conversion then the iConnectMidi2+ will do just fine. It's only $89... BUT if you want to use it standalone, without a computer, you also need the power supply for an extra $29... with the iConnectMidi4+ the power supply is included from the start

That's a really cheap tablet then... The iConnectMidi4+ costs $199 and a 2x2 midi interface usually is at least $50, so that means that you have to find a Win8 tablet for less than $149...

At first glance, the HP Stream 8 is $149. There might be cheaper alternatives out there.

And in my experience the often the most flexible solution is the least user friendly.

I actually agree wholeheartedly - the Win tablet solution isn't for everyone. Even if it's the Ultimate Solution when it comes to flexibility (and setlist management). If simplicity didn't trounce flexibility in the popular vote, there'd be nothing left to complain about on this forum... ;)

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

OK, maybe you shouldn't try Ying the sustain pedal, but the pedal jack on any 'board is designed to be shorted, so the circuit by design is current limited. Not sure if there's really any current to speak of in that circuit.

That said, many footswitches have a DPST switch that can be SIMULTANEOUSLY used both ways, so you can add a second cable. Most keyboards auto-sense the polarity (NO or NC) of the switch on startup so this works, Yes you're connecting the grounds of the two 'boards. Ground loop? You probalbly already have a loop with the AC grounds and the audio cables. Why not try it?

Any EEs reading this, please chime in.

Archived