Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bye Bye, B. B.

Flemtone

I heard this morning of the loss of BB King. His singing and playing were my introduction to the blues and his phrasing was very instrumental to my understanding of the 'when not to play' concept.

Thanks for everything, Mr. King. Peaceful travels, sir.

Play. Just play.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there is probably not a single blues guitarist in the world who was not influenced by him.

Blues guitarist, or any guitarist. Period.

And such a great singer, too. Though I read somewhere that he never learned how to sing and play simultaneously and after a while that became one of his signatures.

It's nice to see the outpouring of respect he's getting.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I saw B.B. back in 2010 at the Crossroads Festival in Chicago. He wasn't in the best playing form. And truth be told, I didn't quite expect that of an 84 year old. But what B.B. did do was hold court during his set. He sat in a semi-circle with Jimmy Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray and Cray's band. This is a format that they had done at other concerts before and I had an idea of what to expect.

It was fantastic to see these four bluesmen sitting together and playing. Each of them has had a fantastic career on their own, but they all deferred to B.B. And to hear B.B. sit and talk was a thing of beauty. He was so funny and warm that the entire audience felt this sense of intimacy that is very difficult to pull off in a soccer stadium. But B.B. did it. And he made it look easy. Probably because he had spent so much of his life on the road that he just knew how to relate to people. I couldn't get over the fact that he was busting Robert Cray's chops as "the young guy" and his hit record "Smoking Gun"...which was back in the 1980's!

And as a musician? B.B. was a tremendous ambassador for The Blues as well as American music. At his peak he was a fierce soloist. You knew his sound when you heard it. And that vibrato? OMG. It's one of those trademarks that a musician strives for that I think people will always identify with B.B. And as a vocalist? There was a power that came from deep within him, but it also had some real honesty to it.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I really liked the Live In Cook County Jail album. We used to do I'm So Excited. He left us some great music and will live on forever with his unique style.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I should note that Toy Caldwell of Marshall Tucker was quite deferential to BB in his comments from the stage, along the lines of "BIG influence on me; WE should be opening for HIM."

Invited him back onstage to close the set with them.

Very classy.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Being a guitar player before playing bass I surely can appreciate BB's skill. When he played you KNEW it was BB.

There were imitators but they couldn't hold a candle to the King of the Blues. All guitar slingers and blues -strike that, music fans have lost a national treasure.

That was a truly sad day. RIP.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived