Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NGW

Guitarzan

i say new guitar week because i have had the new toy for more than a day.

i seen this at a pawn shop for 180.00 last summer. imagine my surprise when the guitar was still there.

i decided to make a special post for this because i only mentioned it in another post.

Yamaha AES 800.

alder single cut body with mahogany veneer in a beautiful brown burst.

two Dimarzio q100 hum cancelling p90 sized pickups

string thru with tom bridge

5 way switch , master tone and volume as well as phase control for pos 4 ( rolls in another coil out of phase )

bolt on maple neck with rosewood fretboard.

funky pickguard that covers zero routing so a clear pickguard is an option

it is a tad dirty and has real slinky strings on it so i need to do a little TLC.

this is built like a brick house and has a sweet tone acoustically thanks to the Fender scale length. as for amped tone ..it frikin rocks and sounds so damn good clean i am inspired to write some less than crunchy tunes with it.

the neck pickup is awesome and makes me not care i am Stratless. bonus..Schaller strap locks are already on it.

after i clean and restring i will post some pics.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congratulations! It'll be a great pleasure to clean 'er up, resurrect her and make her YOUR OWN with your preferred strings and set-up. ;2thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

i seen this at a pawn shop for 180.00 last summer. imagine my surprise when the guitar was still there.

i decided to make a special post for this because i only mentioned it in another post.

Yamaha AES 800.

5 way switch , master tone and volume as well as phase control for pos 4 ( rolls in another coil out of phase )

it is a tad dirty and has real slinky strings on it so i need to do a little TLC.

this is built like a brick house and has a sweet tone acoustically thanks to the Fender scale length. as for amped tone ..it frikin rocks and sounds so damn good clean i am inspired to write some less than crunchy tunes with it.

the neck pickup is awesome and makes me not care i am Stratless. bonus..Schaller strap locks are already on it.

The first good guitar I saved up and bought at age 14 was a new Yamaha SC400, a set neck guitar with three single coils like a strat and a top loading, chunky bridge and maybe Gibson scale-length (those factors gave it little more bottom end and bite as opposed to a strat)... a headstock kind of like a Gibson Explorer and body like a Samurai-cut Mosrite...

hell, here's a pic of the model

http://gsfanatic.com/aas_hirdetes_temp/pic/240304_yamaha.jpg

I still have it... I played the hell out of it for years, it was the only guitar I owned, so there's a few few worn frets and my acidic sweat was eaten away the bridge and bridge pieces a bit, but I still have it and it is still a great playing and sounding guitar. I'd gig with it if I hadn't "widened" a bit over the years and it looks a bit tiny hanging on me.

I was playing it just last night and wondering what happened to Yamaha in the guitar market? I know that with the metal and then grunge eras their aesthetic sense suddenly became unfashionable, but they build some great guitars and excellent values... I played the above model along with the last CBS strats and Teles (that were more expensive at $1099 at the time) and the Gibsons in my price range in the stores here, then ("The SG" and "The Paul," the firebrand unfinished wood things that seemed to have absolutely no love for the customer put into their construction) and it won me over, hands down... while the Strat or Tele would be more valuable today (and inexplicably so, in my honest opinion) that guitar helped my playing progress and accelerate. There was no sound I couldn't get with s few eq setting twiddles and a pedal or two.

Yamaha AES 800.

The first good guitar I saved up and bought at age 14 was a new Yamaha SC400, a set neck guitar with three single coils like a strat and a top loading, chunky bridge and maybe Gibson scale-length (those factors gave it little more bottom end and bite as opposed to a strat)... a headstock kind of like a Gibson Explorer and body like a Samurai-cut Mosrite...

hell, here's a pic of the model

http://gsfanatic.com/aas_hirdetes_temp/pic/240304_yamaha.jpg

I still have it... I played the hell out of it for years, it was the only guitar I owned, so there's a few few worn frets and my acidic sweat was eaten away the bridge and bridge pieces a bit, but I still have it and it is still a great playing and sounding guitar. I'd gig with it if I hadn't "widened" a bit over the years and it looks a bit tiny hanging on me.

I was playing it just last night and wondering what happened to Yamaha in the guitar market? I know that with the metal and then grunge eras their aesthetic sense suddenly became unfashionable, but they build some great guitars and excellent values... I played the above model along with the last CBS strats and Teles (that were more expensive at $1099 at the time) and the Gibsons in my price range in the stores here, then ("The SG" and "The Paul," the firebrand unfinished wood things that seemed to have absolutely no love for the customer put into their construction) and it won me over, hands down... while the Strat or Tele would be more valuable today (and inexplicably so, in my honest opinion) that guitar helped my playing progress and accelerate. There was no sound I couldn't get with s few eq setting twiddles and a pedal or two.

sweet, i wish i could find an Sgv800 in black. i always like classic Yamahas and Ibanez guitars.

Archived