Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting Bigger Again

Wally Malone

Now that I have my equipment size and weight down it's now time to go the other way. I met up with Mark Wright and ordered an Accugroove El Whappo. I went to see Mark to make sure it would fit in my car before ordering and it does. Now for playing situations it will be pick the right Accugroove cabinet for the gig, El Whappo, Tri112L, Wedgie or Tri110. I should have this within a week or two.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'm not going to lie. i will probably never get over the accuswitch debacle. it's been ten years. i should move on. but i just. can't. even.

The company made some changes when it came back as Accugroove LLC and Mark's partner that was the engineer is no longer there. His partners in the reentry are guitar players and the reason for them to enter the guitar speaker cab market. I never stopped liking my Accugrooves however the cabinet I didn't hit it off with was the Tri210 which I sold and my friend who bought it from me loves it and posts all the time about the sound engineers that compliment on the sound of the cab. Oh, and that cab has the switch. Now he doesn't combine it with another cab, just uses it independently.

Wally

Funny Michele. It seems like thread titles not showing the concrete reason for the post seem to draw more views. Not why I did this, just an observation.

Wally

The El Whappo has landed!

The AccuGroove El Whappo is absolutely outrageous. So far I've played the Carvin SB5000 and my Fender P Bass. I did this during half-time of the Warriors first playoff game. A little later I'll put it through the paces with my Kubicki and my Fender Jazz utilizing the Roland V Bass.

I was able to put it through the paces with the Fender Jazz with the GK-3B pickup and the Roland V-Bass. This is the best that setup has ever sounded. The 15" subwoofer does the trick. My wife was complaining about how loud I was even though I told her I was going to push it to see what it can do. AccuGroove was started with the design of this cab and now at 58 lbs this is a cab that should be considered by anyone doing concerts or even clubs where one gets to really rock out.

Wally

Wally - congrats on the new gear!

Robb - I wasn't happy about that either. Based on Wally's comments and changes at the company I've let it go.

I have been curious about the Hartke Hydrive cabs, and tried one out last Saturday. Imagine my surprise to see an Ohm switch in the back.... They say that the speakers have two voice coils inside them (which is different from what other manufacturers have done with this "feature"). Seems like a lot of work to "double coil" a speaker, but I am neither an engineer or a manufacturer....

This is the page from the user manual:

About Impedance

Before you hook up your speaker cabinet, be sure that you understand a little about impedance. Impedance is the electronic load (resistance) that the speaker puts on the power amplifier and is measured in Ohms (Ω). Too much of a load (indicated by lower impedance number) can damage your amplifier, while too small a load (indicated by higher impedance number) will not draw enough power from your amplifier.

Here is the tricky, yet simple rule of impedance: When two speakers with the same impedance are wired in Parallel, the total system impedance is cut in half, and when two speakers with the same impedance are wired in Series, the total impedance is the sum of the speakers individual impedance.

The HX112 has an innovative dual voice coil design that allows you to choose between 4 or 8 ohms impedance. The cabinet has a impedance selector switch on the rear jack plate.

So, if your amplifier has a minimum impedance of 4-ohms and space on the stage is tight, set the HX112 impedance selector switch to 4-ohms to get the full power of your amp. If you want to use two HX112 together in parallel, for a total impedance of 4 Ohms, or add an HX112 to your current setup, set the impedance selector switch to 8-ohms.

I didn't think the cab was all that great (fwiw).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Now for playing situations it will be pick the right Accugroove cabinet for the gig, El Whappo, Tri112L, Wedgie or Tri110. I should have this within a week or two.

It might just be my junior high school experience talking, but I can't imagine anyone ever intentionally picking a wedgie.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

i'm not going to lie. i will probably never get over the accuswitch debacle. it's been ten years. i should move on. but i just. can't. even.

Yeah, well you know a lot more about amp design and building than the average player. Most of us just kinda thought it was a misunderstanding kinda, sorta and forgot about it, especially since they were otherwise really good cabs. False advertising? Misunderstanding? Blatant lies? Honestly thought it did what it didn't? I dunno.

But I can understand why an engineer would get his onions fried over it.

Push the button Frank.

They just came out with a cabinet for guitar players similar to the El Whappo design and the cab shape and size is similar to a Mesa 4-12: http://www.accugroovellc.com/#!estate/cjrc

Couldn't get the link to post correctly, you may have to copy and paste.

Wally

• 2 weeks later...
Now for playing situations it will be pick the right Accugroove cabinet for the gig, El Whappo, Tri112L, Wedgie or Tri110. I should have this within a week or two.

It might just be my junior high school experience talking, but I can't imagine anyone ever intentionally picking a wedgie.

You kinda have to once it's good and jammed in there, in order to get it loose... :freak:

Archived