Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Tuna - Take 2

Fred_C

This evening I changed the strings on my Ibanez AF-125 hollow body. My regular tuner (Sabine Metrotune MT 9000) needs new batteries, so I decided to use the tuner app on my phone.

A while ago, I had mentioned that I had downloaded the FREE"Guitar Tuna" tuner app to my phone. In the interim, the app has undergone a couple of software updates that have greatly improved the tuning accuracy. It now displays how many "cents" sharp or flat the note is while tuning.

Here's the really cool thing: When the guitar is in tune a message bar displays that says, "Your guitar is in tune. Now go find some songs to practice." This new feature made me smile.

Highly recommended! :2thu:

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume that you're playing a solid body. I really don't know if there would be enough signal coming out of an unamplified solid body to make the tuner function. You could try it and see.

P.S. I do not currently own an acoustic. That's a future. The only problem is, when I get enough disposable income together to buy a guitar, I invariably gravitate toward a hollow or semi-hollow electric. I just love that warm, liquid, mellow, jazzy/bluesy tone.

I assume that you're playing a solid body. I really don't know if there would be enough signal coming out of an unamplified solid body to make the tuner function. You could try it and see.

I'm thinking with a couple of adapters I could probably plug the guitar straight into the phone. It would be weird and awkward but silent...

Glad that's working well for ya, Fred! And I'm glad that they'd improved upon it. That's great that it says to "go find some songs to practice". :)

I'll tellya what, hands-down the very best tuner-pedals that I've used are the Peterson virtual-strobe tuners, such as my old blue StroboStomp. They are SUPER accurate, much more than any other pedal-tuner or app that I know of. (NOT to diss your smart-phone app! That has to be super convenient and it's there wherever you are! :cool: )

I use its Equal-Tempered EQU Preset to initially tune and set intonation, and then its "sweetened" GTR Preset ever after following that. I used to work at trying to get the 3rd/"G" ever so slightly flat, while trying to get the 4th/"D" as close to perfectly nailed before going a few cents sharp; but now all I do is use the StroboStomp set to GTR and I'm completely happy with my tuning.

It's so accurate- and "sweetened" for the ear, for all keys and positions- that even when my guitar goes a little out of tune- as judged by the StroboStomp- it's still just about or nearly as satisfactorily close as most guitars are when just freshly tuned with other tuners. Seriously!

...when I get enough disposable income together to buy a guitar, I invariably gravitate toward a hollow or semi-hollow electric. I just love that warm, liquid, mellow, jazzy/bluesy tone.

Go for whatcha love. :2thu::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caev,

Yeah. It's all about convenience. Is this phone app as accurate as the Sabine MT 9000? Probably not. But, it's close enough. It's convenient, accurate enough for practice, rehearsals

Jams, etc. Most importantly, it's FUN TO USE. Did I mention, IT'S FREE!!!

...when I get enough disposable income together to buy a guitar, I invariably gravitate toward a hollow or semi-hollow electric. I just love that warm, liquid, mellow, jazzy/bluesy tone.

Go for whatcha love. :2thu::cool:

Peerless has just released two mew models:

1. Gigmaster 175 Jazz. The dealer states that if the tone and playability do not equal or surpass the Gibson he will cheerfullly refund your money.

2. Hardtail 335, ES 335 clone. Gorgeous!

Both models are $1100. I really think that Peerless guitars represent an insane value and I've got major GAS!!!

I can't stand working with mics...I like my little clip on Snarks as they are very accurate for $25 bucks...I can tune in a crowded room while the other guys are playing with no problem. They are lighted up for dark stages and will go from axe to axe to include the bass. I'm a technophobe with no smart phone LOL! I can see where the phone would be very handy if my tuner battery died or if I forgot and left my tuner at home! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Not being a "gadget zombie", Id have to assume a few things...

One, insomuch as this is an "app" on a phone, and since, I also assume, one CAN talk INTO the phone, one can also play an acoustic, withOUT being plugged into an amp(OR the phone), straight into the phone and STILL have it work.

But, it's nice to have something else that's both accurate and convenient to work with. I use a BOSS tuner of some kind( model # not commited to memory) and an old PITCH PIPE myself, AND/OR( depending on situation) one of my harmonicas to set proper tuning on the 6th, then "harmonics" for the rest!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I use the TC Electronic Polytune APP and the Peterson iStroboSoft APP on my iPhone all the time... and they are spot on. I have an iRig interface thingy that plugs into the phone.

I also bought a bunch of little Fender clip-on tuners on sale for $6 each that just stay attached to my acoustics and main gigging bass, now. They work great.

Let me know what you think.

Letting you know:

I uninstalled it within minutes of rehearsal starting. The "free" version will only tune standard EADGBE. It costs $12 to get the chromatic version. My other guitarist turned me on to G-string, which is a full-blown chromatic tuner with a cool meter-like interface. It's a little clunky in that you have to choose the pitch you're tuning to, but it's free, and with me tuning in the band to C#G#C#F#A#D# (drop Db, for those scoring at home) most of the time, it just works better.

Hey Griff,

Sorry it didn't work for you, but glad that you found an app that meets your needs. I didn't realize that you needed/wanted a chromatic tuner.

Play well, my friend.

Hey Griff,

Sorry it didn't work for you, but glad that you found an app that meets your needs. I didn't realize that you needed/wanted a chromatic tuner.

Play well, my friend.

It's all good. To its credit, the mic response is sensitive enough to where it can tune an electric silently if held close enough to the strings.

Archived