Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I FOUND it, sort of......!

whitefang

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=1968++Mosrite+semi-hollow

The above link, hopefully, will take you to a page from REVERB.COM which will show you a variety of guitars. I'll tell you about them.

I've already told the story of how me and a bunch of friends rode out to Dearborn Mi in 1968, to HEWITT'S MUSIC, where I saw both that goldtop LP hanging on a wall with a Gibson T-140 that at first I istook for some other model of Les Paul, both selling for $500.

Down the road about a half mile(and still in business) is WONERLAND MUSIC, where on THEIR wall I saw TWO different guitars...One looked like a Mosrite "Ventures" model guitar, only it appeared to be "semi-hollow". For years this sort of bugged me. Even Gbase couldn't track one down, and I began to worry about my sanity( always a good idea! :D ) but then I decided to try REVERB.COM's search window, and there it was!

The ONE of them I saw there was the(what I would always think of as typical) "flameburst", although, that RED one on the page looks kinda nice. But, ALSO on that page, you'll see an axe labeled as a KUSTOM K200 semi-hollow. Now, on the night in question, I also saw a guitar with THAT body on that wall, but in a "natural" finish, AND...with a Mosrite neck! NOW I'm confused. WAS it some "custom" job they put together THERE and wasn't picked up yet? Or...WHAT? Anyway, wha I DO remember was that either axe had a $450 price tag on 'em. Sadly, at that time, $450 represented about a year and a half's ALLOWANCE :D !

No WAY was Dad gonna advance me THAT much! :D:D !

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://reverb.com/item/404312-mosrite-celebrity-iii-1967-sunburst <---hopefully this link will come through...I never cared for the semi-hollow body 335 style for looks. I have no idea how they sound but I would imagine it would be very good. I have played on a solid body from the 60's era and they are great guitars...

https://reverb.com/item/347379-mosrite-combo-semi-hollowbody-flame-maple-neck-1968-sunburst <---now this semi-hollow body looks very nice and looks like a Mosrite should! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Um....it WAS the "Combo" to which I was referring, Larry. And don't forget...I also, on that wall saw, what looked like that KUSTOM K200, but with a "natural" finish, AND a MOSRITE NECK! And it baffles me now as to just WHAT it was doing there!

The "Celebrity" looks OK, but NOT as nice as their "Gospel".

Perhaps, with "pun" in cheek, we SHOULD refer to them as "SEMIE-hollow" body guitars! :D

Whitefang

I don't know if it was the crappy YouTube sound, or the crappy recording sound, but I couldn't hear much nor understand nearly anything the guy was sayin'!

I don't think his accent helped much, either!

But I've put it in my list of "favorites" and will peruse it further when the time is afforded. I appreciate it. Thanks.

And, you'll find it hard to believe, but HIS workshop looks MORE organized than MINE! ;) (At least, HE probably KNOWS where he's put all his tools! :D )

Whitefang

You want to hear someone CRY?

My ex, before we were married, had a good friend(a girl down the street from where she lived, ans who wound up being her maid of honor)and we became good friends with her parents as well( real cool dad, and her mother resembled a young ANN MILLER), and she had two older brothers. ONE of them had a four year old( in 1970) Mosrite Ventures model guitar, in a sweet cherry color. but, he really didn't play it much, if at all, and didn't seem to, after getting out of the navy, bother with it at all. His folks got it for him as a Christmas gift and didn't pay a lot(back THEN, anyway) for it. They also gave him a small( Fender delux reverb sized) Silvertone amp. After some mild pleading, they steadfastly refused to sell it to me at one point, but said IF they were to change their mind and sell it, they'd let guitar and amp go for $150. I was able to raise that, and cross-fingered waited for the day they decided to sell. One day, just out of curiosity, I asked them if they were ready to let it go yet, and they told me, "Oh, SORRY. We just LAST WEEK sold it to MEL'S( the daughter) boyfriend for about a hundred bucks!" The HEART WRENCHING part was, the dude didn't even PLAY guitar! Turned out, HE traded it for a POUND OF WEED! :(

Whitefang

I can't top that one Fang...I did have a drummer buddy with an eggshell blue original Fender Mustang that never played it. I reminded him several thousand times that I wanted 1st dibs if he ever sold it. He would fly out from Florida twice a year to jam and I asked him if he would bring that guitar out to California and sell it to me next trip. He said oh yeah, I forgot to tell you I sold it, I'm so sorry I forgot to call you 1st...I said, that's OK I didn't like the color all that much (just to make him feel better...the Bum!) :cry:
Take care, Larryz

Archived