Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-700sx Midi question

ferran rc

Hello,

First of all, sorry for my english, it's not very good...

I've been using the RD-700sx for a few years, and now I want to add a non weighted midi controller to play the organ sounds.

I would like to play the piano and electric piano sounds from the RD-700sx, and at the same time, play the RD organ sounds from the midi keyboard.

I suppose I have to configure 2 layers with the 2 sounds in the RD, but I want to play the pianos from the RD keybed, and the organs only from the midi controller.

Is there any option to do this?

I've searched in the manual, but I don't find anything...

Thank you very much!

Ferran

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you can do this. You'll need to create a Setup that has your piano as Part 1 and organ sound as Part 2. One of the easier ways to do this is to go to Setup 000, which is already set up to do this with a string sound. Press the Edit button and scroll down the options until you see Part Parameter. At the top of the Part Parameter screen you'll see:

Part 1 (UPPER1)

Tone: Superior Grd

Receive Channel: 1

Making sure that the cursor is on the "1" of Part 1, cursor up to change that to "2"

Now you'll see:

Part 2 (UPPER2)

Tone: SX Strings 1 (You can change this to organ.)

Receive Channel: 2

Here's the crucial bit. Notice in the Zone Switch/Control section that both Upper 1 and 2 lights are lit. Connect your midi keyboard. Set it to transmit Midi channel 2. Press the lit Upper 2 button in Zone Switch/Control to un-light it. The only lit button should be Upper 1. Play your midi keyboard. It should be playing the Part 2 sound. Play the RD. It should only be playing the piano sound. The lit buttons control what is being played from the RD's keyboard. You can assign sounds to the Lower zones in this same fashion.

When you touch "Write," you'll have the option of re-naming the Setup and placing it in another location. A saved Setup remembers which Zone switches are lit, fortunately. Note that you can still adjust the volume of parts with the sliders in the Zone section. It is also possible to add a volume pedal that controls the Zone you specify, which you'll need for organ.

Good luck,

Ken

Archived