Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time to upgrade the studio computer

Rusty Mike

I've been using a Dell laptop running Vista in my studio since 2009. It's pretty much run out of steam for a number of reasons and is now impacting my productivity. The Finance Department has given me clearance to make a new purchase, so I need to strike while the iron is hot. Here's what I use primarily:

- Band In A Box (just upgraded to the 2015 version and am starting to use the Real Tracks)

- Cubase Elements 6 (more than sufficient for my needs)

- Audacity

- Nord Sound Manager

- iTunes

- Amazon Music app

- A lot of YouTube to research music

To a lesser extent:

- Kurzweil PC3 editor

- VB3/Cantible (not so much since buying the Electro 4D)

- Open Office

- A few small Yamaha utilities for my PSR-S710

I use a Steinberg UR22 interface, Korg NanoKontrol (control surface for Cubase) and an extended 21" monitor.

I prefer a laptop over a desktop for this space. Through my Big Blue employer, I can get Lenovo and Apple products at a slight discount, and have access to our employee purchase program for refurbished computers from a variety of manufacturers. There are occasionally refurbished well equipped MacBook Pros available for pretty good prices.

I'm fluent in both Mac and Windows. Moving to a new computer will require shifting my licenses over, so it's a PITA either way. I have to inquire with the software makers on potentially cross-grading my software. I can look into getting Parallels, but if I get a Mac, I would prefer to run the software native. Besides, Parallels requires a Windows license, and then I'm still dealing with Windows drivers and all that other stuff.

That said, I'm not really looking for advice on selecting a new computer. I've been doing this long enough and can readily figure that part out. Instead, I have a specific question that cannot really be answered through research:

* Are any of you using Band-In-A-Box for the Mac? Is it working well for you? I understand that it's behind the Windows version, but the PG Music videos don't make it look so bad compared to the 2015 version for Windows.

I'm not crazy about the upgrade costs (considering I just bought the 2015 for Windows upgrade), but since I use BIAB all the time, I'll just have to deal with it.

(I'm going to post this question on the BIAB Yahoo group as well)

For now, I can get the answers to my other questions from the manufacturers. Thanks all!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
* Are any of you using Band-In-A-Box for the Mac? Is it working well for you? I understand that it's behind the Windows version, but the PG Music videos don't make it look so bad compared to the 2015 version for Windows.

I'm not crazy about the upgrade costs (considering I just bought the 2015 for Windows upgrade), but since I use BIAB all the time, I'll just have to deal with it.

I've been using BIAB for Mac for a few years now. My current version is 2012 but I somehow missed the discounted upgrade offer for 2014, so I'm waiting for 2015 to ship with the discounted upgrade. I don't feel a big need to upgrade it every year, but the new interface is a bit of an attraction for me (now if they'd only clean up the menus...).

I have *one* issue with it. It usually crashes the first time I launch it and go to play a song. Then I relaunch it, and it's fine. This only started happening after I upgraded the OS to Mavericks. I suspect the newer versions don't have this issue but I can't say for sure.

I route the MIDI-based tracks to MainStage, which sounds a million times better than the QuickTime instruments. Together with the RealTracks, it sounds really good.

I can't say what I'm missing by having the Mac version instead of the Windows version, but that info can be found online. I think the one thing I know of is that if the song has lyrics, the lyrics are shown weird on the Mac. Again, I don't know if the later versions fixed that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

IMHO.. ?

Stick with Windows....

I think that's where I'm headed. Seems PG Music and the RealBook software people would want to repurchase licenses. PG says I need to buy a cross-grade for essentially what is a back level version with less functionality.

I haven't heard back from Sternberg yet, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

The RealBook software folks responded that I would need to re-license, which is bazaar. It's looking easier to just stick with Windows and move my stuff over to the new computer.

Thanks for the feedback.

Depending on the hardware being OK, just blowing away Vista and a fresh install of Win 7 or 8 would speed up the old computer very substantially. vista was a very poor OS. I have a machine with changeable drives, and W7 is 4 or 5 times as fast on the same hardware.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I prefer a laptop over a desktop for this space. Through my Big Blue employer, I can get Lenovo and Apple products at a slight discount, and have access to our employee purchase program for refurbished computers from a variety of manufacturers. There are occasionally refurbished well equipped MacBook Pros available for pretty good prices.

Hi Mike. My wife works for BB as well so I have been a ThinkPad user for many years (BTW glad you survived "the culling"). I am pretty much hooked on the "eraser head" trackpoint system so I won't use any other laptop for production work...

Anywho, I have seen a big slide in the build quality in the newer Lenovos.. My last 2 laptops have lasted 3-5 years each - I don't see this new one making it to 2 years. Performance wise it is fine, but the keys, the trackpad "clicker", the case.. all flimsy and loose after just 6 months.

If you can get a nicely loaded T-420 I would grab it. I am kicking myself for getting a newer one and not a T-420 refurb.

Good luck!

ps Love the "finance dept." comment. Sounds like my house. :)

Depending on the hardware being OK, just blowing away Vista and a fresh install of Win 7 or 8 would speed up the old computer very substantially. vista was a very poor OS. I have a machine with changeable drives, and W7 is 4 or 5 times as fast on the same hardware.

I tried doing a Win7 upgrade on it a few years ago and it just wasn't happy. It's a Dell Studio and seems to be very temptermental. It's got a decent spec, but not worth the trouble at this point.

Once I upgrade, I'm going to wipe it and reinstall the OEM image, then give it to my wife to use for email and web browsing.

Hi Mike. My wife works for BB as well so I have been a ThinkPad user for many years (BTW glad you survived "the culling"). I am pretty much hooked on the "eraser head" trackpoint system so I won't use any other laptop for production work...

Anywho, I have seen a big slide in the build quality in the newer Lenovos.. My last 2 laptops have lasted 3-5 years each - I don't see this new one making it to 2 years. Performance wise it is fine, but the keys, the trackpad "clicker", the case.. all flimsy and loose after just 6 months.

If you can get a nicely loaded T-420 I would grab it. I am kicking myself for getting a newer one and not a T-420 refurb.

Good luck!

ps Love the "finance dept." comment. Sounds like my house. :)

It's funny you should say that about the Lenovos. My colleague/friend said pretty much the same thing, specifically about the Lenovo models other than the ThinkPad. I'm looking at the T series now, but the 5x0 models with larger screens. The 420 is too small for my old eyes. Plus I like to span the Cubase project window across the two monitors, so it is better if the heights are similar.

IMHO, Apple is the only computer company focused on build quality, so I'm not too surprised about your statement. My most recent company issued laptop is a Toshiba of some sort, and it's awful. Obviously not uncommon to keyboard manufacturers as well.

It's very rare that I move or even directly touch the music laptop. It stays on the same spot all the time and I use a USB keyboard and wireless mouse. I don't even shut the lid. Not too concerned about it's road worthiness.

OT: I did have some close colleagues affected by last week's event. I hate when those things happen. Part of life in the corporate jungle, I guess.

As by way of recommendation, I have a Samsung Series 7 that I've had for 18 months that has been really good. Always wanted a screen that's a decent resolution to see well, without being too small not to see anything, so WSXGA on a 15" is great for me. I cart it about everywhere with me since it only weight 3lbs and had no problems so far. It's an ultrabook so only 3 usb ports, and needing adaptors for hdmi and network, but that's the only downside.

I loathe Lenovos. My work computer is quite familiar with the various parts of BB's support. (Interestingly, I can work on hundreds of servers, but I'm not allowed to fix my own work PC...)

BTW glad you survived "the culling"

Just a bit OT, quite a hairy day, that. 4 of my coworkers (in a team of 9) got caught up in it. I was fortunate enough to survive.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived