Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Quit The Band

Chad Thorne

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to be grim but I don't think the friendship will actually last. I foresee a few possible scenario's:

1) You'll simply lose touch;

2) At one point or another Poke Chop will realize he liked your input better and will want you back, you won't want that and P.C. will resent you for that; or

3) You'll form V.G. Tarian & The Tofu Toasters, be more succesful than "the other band" and P.C. will resent you for that.

At any rate, I hope I'm wrong!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

It may also be fun to send a phoney cease and desist notice from the Pork Counsel, or whomever holds the rights to "The Other White Meat", baring them from using the name.

With the power of the internet, and public court documents, I'm sure this could be pieced together rather quickly.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

"If you perform with Poke Chop, you're an Other White Meat."

And if you hose your band mates you are a pig

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

• 1 year later...

ok, in my defense....I had been 'working' on booking this club for YEARS, like 3 trying to get in. The opportunity came up for ME to play by way of a bassist friend who offered it my way. Seeing this as a way IN I asked who should we go as. With me singing EVERYTHING he said Poke Chop etc. So we did. From there it led to pretty much a booking every other month since.

Also, the "Original" white meats are a different group of folks from out west where we first came up with the name.

Chad is a good friend, confidant and great groove man. If I didn't apologize, I will here.

I read, though never commented on the original thread, and was surprised to see it resurface so much later. My comments are as follows:

First, I'm not sure what prompted this coming up again. As far as I can tell younguysnare good? I'm guessing you just never saw this before and I can understand wanting to give your side.

Second, while we all want to have an avenue to vent, this is what can happen. It's on the Internet and this guy's friend sees something he posted a couple years ago.

Regarding the initial incident.....it seems pretty clear Thst the best course of action would be call bass player A and say " bass player B can get us a gig if we do it with him, do you mind if we take that gig with him and play the rest with you?" Problem solved. It was an uncomfortable situation, I get it. But if you're going to be the band leader, you have to suck it up and deal with the uncomfortable situations, it comes with the territory. You did the right thing but handled it wrong and could have kept Chad. Just sayin.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived