Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"give me three examples of the blues.."

Ross Brown

My dad today at lunch asked me to give him three examples of the blues so that he could go listen and get a better idea... He is 85 years old and always gravitated towards jazz and classical music. He plays many instruments... just never piad much attention to the blues... I told him 1) Muddy Waters - Electric Mud album 2) Hoochie Coochie Man played by Eric Clapton, any version (yes, I know it is also on the Electric Mud album) and Luther Allison, All the Kings Horses...

What do think of this list and what three would be on your list of blues examples for someone that did not know the blues?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a song I recorded with Bo Diddley, he sang "She drank hot sauce for water and threw my hat in the toilet stool". Now that's really the blues.

Wally

not on Spotify..... :)

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I was thinking you might include an older blues artist.

Big Bill Broonzy, Bessie Smith, something like that - to show the early startup.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Muddy Waters, my personal favorite because he is the best, but he is obviously the first suggestion by most because of that fact.

Howlin' Wolf

Albert King - I'll play the blues for you. Awesome song, awesome album.

BB King - My favorite song - Why I Sing The Blues. So fun to play the bass along with.

You should have an idea of his jazz tastes, work off that. Crooners or instrumentalists?

Would he prefer acoustic or electric? Electric may be drifting closer to the R&R genre, that may put him off.

On second thought, I wonder if he is testing you...

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I would add the roots, like Blind Lemon Jefferson, Big Bill Broonzy, RobertJohnson (where you find out that crossroads was recorded in 1936, just as Love in Vain).

Talking about electric blues, I would throw in the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Elmore James, the three Kings, Ronnie Earl.

Regards modern blues or british blues, I would not undervalue Rory Gallagher, a great player and also revisit the poor Jeff Healey.

Finally, to dig the way Rizzo puts, it, I would mention the descending fourth that Ellington chose.

[video:google]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI0REzHb_7s

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Wow, limiting to three is tough, but I would say:

1) The Robert Johnson recordings, because of their historical importance;

2) the "Hard Again," by Muddy Waters, because of Muddy's place in the pantheon of blues musicians; and

3) Any of Stevie Ray Vaughn's albums, as an example of modern blues and how blues was incorporated into rock.

Beyond that: Elmore James, Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon, Rev. Gary Davis, Slim Harpo, Gary Clark, Jr. There's an ocean of great stuff to drink from...

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Hmmm, since he's into jazz and classical, it's hard to say, but I'd have to second the Willie Dixon nomination, he was a jazz player as well: [video:youtube]

The Nighthawks "Ten Years Live"

B.B. King "Completely Well"

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

And don't forget Blind Melon Chitlin' (from Cheech & Chong "Still Smokin")

(note the "smirk" post icon)

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

These three:

lg_royblue.jpg

http://www.hawthornethreads.com/images/michael_miller/300/michael_miller_house_designer_cotton_couture_in_powder_blue.jpg

http://www.crutcheze.com/Member/MediArtOutfittersLLC/Images/ShoppingCartUploads/Products/Large/ClearanceNavyBlueSwatch3300x300.jpg

Push the button Frank.

1: 'Woke up this mornin'...' (etc)

2: 'Didn't wake up this mornin'...' (etc)

3: 'My baby got hit by a train...' (etc)

fail....number 3 is obviously a country western tune.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I know Chad.... but I prefer electric blues.....

Not ever sure what to think of Joe B..... want to like him but can't get there....

[should I double post this.... is that the new format?]

:)

Archived