Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Anyone from the Atlanta area?

zeronyne

Sorry for the OT post...I hope you will indulge a longtime Lowdowner. :)

So does anyone here live in Atlanta? If you do, could you give me a rundown of the cost of living, traffic, and music venues there? I may be spending a LOT of time there in the near future, and I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to live in the 404 but that was a long time ago.

When I go back to visit now the traffic can be as bad as LA. Not all the roads connect -- "you can't get there from here" -- so if your road is buggered there's nothing you can do.

There are plenty of cost of living calculators online. For example, one says a $50K salary in Chicago is equivalent to $41,630 in Atlanta (mostly because housing and transportation cost a lot less way down yonder).

With almost 4.3M in the metro Atlanta area I'm sure there are plenty of music venues. For example, I see the Atlanta Jazz Festival is still an annual event at Piedmont Park.

Wife has family there and I've visited several times, but can't be very helpful on your questions. It's a young city (having been burned to the ground by the Yanks during that unpleasantness 150 years ago) and has a lot of young people who live there these days. Big corporate center for the South, and, of course Coke. The Coke Museum is pretty cool. I'm not a fan of their product, but the museum is an interesting history of advertising and American culture.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Our European friends consider ALL of our cities to be young cities! :D

I've been to Sunday services over there in country churches that are considerably older than the United States. It's kinda weird as an American. :Python:

Push the button Frank.

Archived