Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT...Router and home network.

So my wife is wanting me to get her an internet connection in her office.

I have a old AMD K-6 computer running Windows 98 with plenty of RAM.

My "good" computer is Pentium 4 Dell machine with Comcast cable internet already setup.

What's the best/easiest way to get cable internet acess into another room?

Wireless?

What other cards/equipment will be needed?

Please type slow ;)

I don't envision much other networking...maybe sharing a printer.

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are three ways.

All if them will involve a router, either wired or wireless.

If you want to go the wireless route, you'll need to find either an access point or a wireless PCI card that will work with 98.

If you go wired, I have a solution that involves no super long cables.

I use this.

It routes ethernet through your 100v AC lines. I have three of them plus a wireless network (the house is very large and sprawling with a lot of concrete), and they work GREAT. At 14Mbps, it's faster than wireless. It'll tide me over until I go completely gigabit next year.

"For instance" is not proof.

Hi saucyjack - the wife and I use a wireless SMC barricade 7004AWBR DSL router that includes a print server:

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=63&site=c

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,304,00.asp

We have laptops with wireless cards plugged into them that communicate with the wireless router.

If you look on this page you'll find a comparable wireless cable router (and PCI type cards for the computer side):

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-List&cat=5&site=c

I get pretty good reception all over the house except for 2 areas on a different floor where the signal gets a bit weak in one of the far rooms. If I wanted to solve that problem I'd put a wireless access point in downstairs.

I positioned the wireless router in the best possible spot by experimenting a bit - kind of like positioning your room monitors !

I'll probably be out that way within the next few months if you need a hand - he he ;)

kylen

I just installed an SMC wireless router and a "I can't remember the brand name" wireless NIC card in one of my machines. Grand total approx. $120.

My main machine is an AMD in my basement. The other machine is a Pentium two floors up.

Installation was a breeze. Hook up the router to the cable modem/DSL modem. Connect a CABLE from the router to the nearest machine. Install the wireless NIC in the other machine, and PRESTO! You're ready to go.

Just remember to immediately reset the password on the router, and limit the DHCP pool to only allow IP addressing for the number of machines you are using. Also, turn on encryption, and change the router name.

Anyway, my connection works great, even when we are both online.

Amateur Hack

I did a similar, but even cheaper thing than E Money. brought the cable modem in via USB, used the ethernet port to network the other three computers in the house. You don't even need 3rd party software , windows allows any computer to share its net connection with the others on the network. I had a friend come up with a roll of cat 5 cable, so grand total for the whole thing was 20 bucks for a simple 4 port hub.
Chuck Moore

If you do go wireless I have something to add to Schniggins' pretty good list: Until your wireless-connected machines are working DO NOT turn on WEP encryption or other encryption. Once they do actually work, definitely turn them on as suggested by the Schnigg. If things get wierd after that, (f'rinstance not geting a valid ip address from DHCP) the first thing to try is turning off WEP. This will tell you if your encryption scheme is the problem. This has happened in each of my wireless networks.

If you can stay wired, that's good. Only do wireless if a) wires are impractical, b) you'll probably move stuff often, or c) you think it's really cool and are willing to learn about it.

Rubber Lizard Studio

Archived