Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Philly Guitar Show

Fred_C

Went to the Philly Guitar Show on Saturday. Had a good time. Played a Knaggs hollow body. Beautiful Guitar. It was quite possibly the finest instrument I've ever played. It should be with a MAP around $6K. They had a show special for $3K and I am sorely tempted. They told me they would keep the show special deal open for 30 days for me.

Also, saw two examples of what were supposed to be "Gibson Les Paul Customs" with a blondish, sort of gold top finish and a price tag of only $1495. This seems kinda' low for an LP Custom and I asked the vendor if it was a "Chibson" (Chinese Gibson). He said that it was USA made. Hard to believe.

Anyway, had a good time at the show.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Run a few ads in the next 30 days and see if you can sell enough to cut that $3,000 price tag in half. If anyone deserves a boutique, it's you! When you get the right guitar in your hand, don't let go of it... :cool:

Ps. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ESLP14LBNH/ <--- check out this new Memphis semi-hollow body Les Paul with F-holes!

Take care, Larryz

Bro. Larry,

I think that a Peerless at around $1350 is probably more my price range. I certainly can't afford $6K and even $3K is a stretch for me. We'll see what happens. Truth be told, I don't need another guitar.

I like the looks of the semi-hollow Les Paul. I was surprised to read that it had a laminated top. Pretty guitar.

+1 Fred, on the truth being told...I don't need another guitar but that LP caught my eye for some reason. I'm resisting the GAS. When it comes down to the dollar, it's always good to find a less expensive guitar that suits you. Those Peerless guitars are definitely cool! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Went to the Philly Guitar Show on Saturday. Had a good time. Played a Knaggs hollow body. Beautiful Guitar. It was quite possibly the finest instrument I've ever played. It should be with a MAP around $6K. They had a show special for $3K and I am sorely tempted. They told me they would keep the show special deal open for 30 days for me.

Run a few ads in the next 30 days and see if you can sell enough to cut that $3,000 price tag in half. If anyone deserves a boutique, it's you! When you get the right guitar in your hand, don't let go of it... :cool:

Yeah! What Larryz said! :D:thu:

If you can at all swing it, get that guitar. Better to have one guitar like that which suits and pleases you so well, than a bunch of 'OK' to 'pretty good' guitars and other such stuff.

Or...

Take your favorite guitar and have it refretted and comprehensively set-up by a stone pro luthier, to bring out the best of it and make it play like that Knaggs...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yeah! What Larryz said! :D:thu:

If you can at all swing it, get that guitar. Better to have one guitar like that which suits and pleases you so well, than a bunch of 'OK' to 'pretty good' guitars and other such stuff.

Or...

Take your favorite guitar and have it refretted and comprehensively set-up by a stone pro luthier, to bring out the best of it and make it play like that Knaggs...

Actually, both my Epi Sheraton and my Ibanez AF125 play very well. In addition they are scrupulously cared for by my guitar tech, who is highly skilled.

I don't need another guitar. I just was drooling over the Knaggs and experienced extreme GAS. I'm going to be 65 years old next month. We'll see what the future holds regarding a new guitar.

Actually, although it should probably not be shown to a known GAS sufferer, I have about 30 seconds of video with Joe Knaggs carving a top, from 2011. I would have stayed longer but had to get on to other exhibits. The problem is that, at the time I hadn`t gotten that portrait/landscape thing down and right now the vid is 90 degrees sideways. I`ll have to throw it onto an editing platform of some kind.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

If I recall right, Joe was with PRS before going out on his own, so he`s coming from a place with a rep for quality. The music fair was supposed to happen last year but for some reason it was delayed till this year so all my information is from 2011. I think in terms of quality they are spot on, some of them aesthetically appeal to me more than others and a few of them are just weird. but design-wise I do think he`s on to something, with the contrasting bevel-layered look. For playability and tone I`ll have to defer until I have another chance at them this fall. It`s been almost three years and I tried a lot of guitars last time. If i have a chance I`ll pop down to music street and try one out again, that would probably be this sunday or next.

As a side note I would not, at this point, buy one for resale value-too soon to tell and odds are against a lot of appreciation.

Don't care about appreciation. I'm a player, not a collector or investor.

I would appreciate your insights. Although, I must admit that my original enthusiasm is waning. This guitar specs out suspiciously close to the Carvin SH-550 for which I paid under $2K. I don't have a sense of value equaling the expenditure.

I am thinking that a Peerless is a better value for me.

Hi Fred

Not familiar with Peerless. Can you recall the specific Knaggs model you were looking at? one of the big chain stores here seems to have a fair selection, in fact here`s the link-see if you can find the one you tried, you can also compare prices:

http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/srDispCategoryTreeLink/doSearchCategory/11315500000/04-05/3/1

Carvin is going to be pretty tough to beat on a cost/benefit basis. If you`re going strictly by bang for the buck I don`t see a huge reason to jump ship. FWIW, I would not trade my two main electrics for either Carvin or Knaggs-would love one in addition but otherwise I`m content with what I have. I`d say within a $1,000 or so difference it`s more a matter of, did you find one that speaks to you, if it has that `X` factor that makes it stand out then it might be worth considering.

Not familiar with Peerless.

Many of the better Epiphone hollow & semihollow bodies & most late 90's-early 2000's Gretsches were made by Peerless, which is based in South Korea. Their own line reflects a lot of the models they made for other companies in the past. Plus a lot of their own jazz oriented designs. Very fine affordable instruments.

Scott Fraser

Very kool, sounds a bit like Fujigen.

At some point a company like that will probably emerge from China, although so far it seems to not have happened. I did see some nice acoustics in Shanghai. The dryness took a toll in Beijing, I saw neck joints coming unglued.

Also, saw two examples of what were supposed to be "Gibson Les Paul Customs" with a blondish, sort of gold top finish and a price tag of only $1495. This seems kinda' low for an LP Custom and I asked the vendor if it was a "Chibson" (Chinese Gibson). He said that it was USA made. Hard to believe.

The LP\s were prolly Custom Classics; weight relieved, but otherwise very much like the original Custom. I've been drooling over one here. Caev has a Classic, and it's a fine guitar. Definitely the route I'll take versus an original Custom.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Hi Fred

Not familiar with Peerless. Can you recall the specific Knaggs model you were looking at? one of the big chain stores here seems to have a fair selection, in fact here`s the link-see if you can find the one you tried, you can also compare prices:

http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/srDispCategoryTreeLink/doSearchCategory/11315500000/04-05/3/1

Hey Skip,

Yeah, I played a Chena Hollow body. I agree that Carvin makes a great guitar, but I sold my SH550 due to the fact that I decided that the fretboard was too narrow and the string spacing was way to close together for Chord Melody. I needed more room for my left hand to navigate.

I am very seriously considering a Peerless.

Carvin is going to be pretty tough to beat on a cost/benefit basis. If you`re going strictly by bang for the buck I don`t see a huge reason to jump ship. FWIW, I would not trade my two main electrics for either Carvin or Knaggs-would love one in addition but otherwise I`m content with what I have. I`d say within a $1,000 or so difference it`s more a matter of, did you find one that speaks to you, if it has that `X` factor that makes it stand out then it might be worth considering.

The LP\s were prolly Custom Classics; weight relieved, but otherwise very much like the original Custom. I've been drooling over one here. Caev has a Classic, and it's a fine guitar. Definitely the route I'll take versus an original Custom.

So, the Custom Classics are USA made and inexpensive ($1495)?

Just as an aside, there was a question on the Seymour Duncan forum about ditching one`s guitar collection for that `one dream guitar`. I said no-there`s no way I would take a guitar like that to a gig, not even with some accompanying goodies from my weapons collection. As a studio housecat maybe, but that`s it. otherwise I`d be limited to museum or art gallery gigs. Besides, despite several noble attempts one guitar can`t cover everything.

So, the Custom Classics are USA made and inexpensive ($1495)?

Yup - basically a cosmetically enhanced Studio, with the diamond headstock inlay, binding, and ebony board. I love my Studio, and would not hesitate to snap up one of these, budget allowing.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Just as an aside, there was a question on the Seymour Duncan forum about ditching one`s guitar collection for that `one dream guitar`. I said no-there`s no way I would take a guitar like that to a gig, not even with some accompanying goodies from my weapons collection. As a studio housecat maybe, but that`s it. otherwise I`d be limited to museum or art gallery gigs. Besides, despite several noble attempts one guitar can`t cover everything.

+1 on all counts Skip...so what's the set list for those museum and art gallery gigs? LOL! :D:facepalm::cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived