Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

today's tune:T-Bone Wolk rips a gtr solo or 2 [huh?!]

d  halfnote

Just read abt these cats Chromeo in the NYT & went to check them out, via YTube.

So far their tracks impress less than this collab with Darryl Hall on an interesting revamp of the snoozy-smooth "No Can Do (I Can't Go For That)".

As I watched, tryna figure out why they had bassist TBone Wolk, specially dressed for the occasion as Mr Greenjeans, vamping on ac gtr through all the electonic stew, he showed me at 3:30 into the track by ripping a cool/hot (take yer [pun alert] pick ) solo !

Who knew he could do that ?!

He returns near the end with some quasi-Wes stuff, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-OZOjINrF8

d=halfnote

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, he took over for Oates as the musical director when Darryl Hall started doing solo stuff and the Live from Darryl's House webshow. When T-Bone passed away, Paul Pesco from The System took over that job.

I played bass for quite a while because everybody needed a bass player (especially one who could sing at the same time as playing) and guitar players were everywhere. When I started getting guitar gigs everybody reacted like "wow, you can play 'lead guitar?'" Now, when I get a gig playing bass they react like "wow, you can really play bass, too." It's just strings, man...

As I watched, tryna figure out why they had bassist TBone Wolk, specially dressed for the occasion as Mr Greenjeans, vamping on ac gtr through all the electonic stew, he showed me at 3:30 into the track by ripping a cool/hot (take yer [pun alert] pick ) solo !

Who knew he could do that ?!

He returns near the end with some quasi-Wes stuff, too.

Niiice. :cool: I like the little touches he does throughout, as well- such as the Classical-technique picking-hand artifical-harmonics (a.k.a. "false-harmonics") in the beginning. A tasteful, ALWAYS in-the-pocket (Mr. Deepgenes?) player. Timing and feel are paramount.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived