Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Copryright and Authorship Question

A hypothetical situation:

Let's say I write a song with a friend. I write the verse and chorus and he comes up with the bridge. We copyright the song together as co-writers. Am I allowed to take the parts I wrote (the verse and chorus) write a new bridge to it, and claim sole ownership of it? Or is that copyright infringement, even though I am technically stealing from myself? Would I have to give him any credit on this new song?

I have no homepage.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me guess...

You wrote a song with a band you're no longer connected with and now you want to take the part of a song you co-wrote and create something all your own?

Anyhow... You're describing a derivative work. In the scenario you laid out, you probably would need permission from your co-writer to use a significant portion of the original song for a new one.

Copyright law only separates the contributions of co-writers in two ways.

1. Lyrics and music can be copywritten separately, then together as a unit.
  2. It's feasable that you can copyright, individually, two parts of a song if and only if one writer contributed the beginning and the other the end. Copyright them as separate songs, then put them together for an recording. I've never seen this done, and I imagine doing so would illustrate a lack of trust that should indicate to both writers that this arrangement ain't workin'! ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived