Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grow your own

Guitarzan

i have been lucky, my oldest son who is studying recording arts has the need to do a project where he is at the board at least 75% of the time.

he has asked me if i would be interested in recording a song but the catch is we can only get the studio from 10:00 pm to 7 am....well heck yeah, i am a night owl so no prob...grow your own producer! damn i get to record a song with my son running the show! how freakin cool is that?

the problem that i had was what do i want to do?

i had one of our ( my bass player buddy and me) metal songs about inner demons ( big scary monster) which has been in constant growth since i wrote the riff at least 5 yrs ago.

or the cheesy sing along "welcome to Canada" or...

"Penny" which is a mostly acoustic tune inspired by "The Walking Dead". Penny has grown to be more than the seed it was, my goal is to make the lyrics vague enough to be different to who ever is listening to it.

after some thought i chose Penny. even though it is musically complete i still need to flesh out the lyrics before next Sat. i have my melody and music and the lyrics to the chorus so all will be fairly simple to get done.

and damn i have to sing it. that is going to be the hard part.

i am excited and nervous at the same time. and who knows i may even chose a different song before Sat.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't stay up all night worrying about it, you know you'll do a great job and I can't wait to hear the vocals when you post them for us! (no matter which song you chose)...Good luck with it buddy and have some fun with it :thu: !
Take care, Larryz

That sounds like an awesome way to spend a night. Very cool that your son chose YOU to do it with!!!

Good luck Guitarzan, look forward to hearing the results.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

i just got to hear Brett's last project his group did. they had two groups from the recording arts class take an older song and record it while reworking it. Brett's bunch did Springsteen's dancing in the dark. it has a dance vibe to it and sounds pretty damn good.

the other group did Seal's Kiss from a rose in a more rocking fashion. these kids are doing alright.

hopefully my song turns out like i hear it in my head. i get a bonus by having Brett do the drum work on it.

well the lyrics are damn near done, i have been trying hard to get this all arranged for tonight so we can avoid changes in the studio. so if you are interested here are the lyrics to "Penny"

Penny little Penny

there's an emptiness in your eyes

Penny oh Penny

do you remember me,

could you even try?

I need you (need you) need to find you

I see you (feel you) are you inside you?

Penny...Penny...Penny

It's killing me

Can't set you free

Someday the sun will rise again

and your dreams will fill the sky

no more stolen memories

like you never said goodbye....

Penny...Penny

we've lost so much

it rips at my heart

Penny oh Penny

only pieces left

it's all broke apart

I need you (need you) need to find you

I see you (feel you) are you inside you?

Penny ..Penny..Penny

It's killing me

Can't set you free

Someday the sun will rise again

and your dreams will fill the sky

veil of darkness washed away

free to laugh and free to cry

no more hunger no more pain

let the sun dry up your rain

no more stolen memories

I'll never say goodbye

still some tweaks to do but getting there

Great lyrics, you probably want to keep changes to a minimum but for some reason, I hear one more chorus to end it with (not having any idea how the song goes or ends so I should keep quiet LOL! :crazy: ) Then on the last line after "it's killing me" slowly end with "and-I-can't-set-you-free"... :rimshot:
Take care, Larryz

oh yeah the chorus continues at the end with..

Goodbye.........

you never said

goodbye.........

i'll never say

goodbye.........

this is over the repeated chorus section

really gonna milk the chorus at the end which then returns to the opening progression which rolls back and mellows..never ..said ..goodbye

in the verse sections i do slow down the lyric on the last line before starting again

it all makes sense when you hear the melody

i have written so many variations on the basic chord progression i have lots to layer if needed

thanks for the suggestion and kind words. this song is really swirling in my brain. can't wait to give birth so to speak.

Archived