Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best advice for songwriting..

ChewisLewis

Yeah I think a portable recorder is a good idea too-not just to record ideas but sounds. You never know when you may come across a sound, or an instrument, that is unique-if you can record it you can go back and tinker with it at your leisure. My friend in Wisconsin has a giant drum from China (posted a photo before)-I just happen to have a song that would be great with it. Didn`t have a way to record it before, now I have to go back to Milwaukee :rolleyes: There`s a sound that some trucks make in Japan when they apply the brakes-this really cool metallic, springy sound. I would pay a guy just to pull up to a corner and brake. But I need a recorder.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
most of my stuff is instrumental just because i enjoy finding musical magic in riffs or chord progressions. i am a guitar guy who is always looking to learn something by taking things apart or finding different ways to deliver a chord change.

+1. Me too, Guit. I am obsessed with chord voicings, voice leading and moving bass lines. One of my favorite sayings (I thunk this up myself) is "If you want to change the harmony move the chord." Re-voicing a chord somewhere else will often have very interesting effects on he harmony. :wave:

i would love to be able to rip some killer jazz progressions but alas i am a rocker. so much to learn.

i pedaled the A string while playing 2 note shapes on the d and g string..end result i ended up writing a new riff. which was tasty enough to not need any weedley deedley on top.

Hey Guit,

If you would like to just dip your toe into the Jazz waters, let me recommend the National Guitar Workshop book "Beginning Jazz Guitar" by Jody Fischer. It is a very good, easy to follow and fun to work through book. It will introduce you to Jazz harmony. My copy is probably 14-15 years old and came with a CD. Now it comes with a DVD. Highly recommended as a first book on Jazz Guitar.

Also, +1 on using chord fragments and intervals to make the harmony more interesting.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Yeah I think a portable recorder is a good idea too-not just to record ideas but sounds. You never know when you may come across a sound, or an instrument, that is unique-if you can record it you can go back and tinker with it at your leisure. My friend in Wisconsin has a giant drum from China (posted a photo before)-I just happen to have a song that would be great with it. Didn`t have a way to record it before, now I have to go back to Milwaukee :rolleyes: There`s a sound that some trucks make in Japan when they apply the brakes-this really cool metallic, springy sound. I would pay a guy just to pull up to a corner and brake. But I need a recorder.

Jan and Dean did a song called "Sidewalk Surfin' " which has an intro of a skateboard rolling down the sidewalk. This was obtained by one of them riding said skateboard down a sidewalk while the other ran along side with a recorder and holding the mic down near it's wheels. So it CAN be done.

I suppose some recording device would be a good idea. But that would mean I might have to SING the lyrics, and I fear if I do that, the true intent of what the melody is SUPPOSED to sound like would be lost in the din. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

@Skip, back ground and special effect noises can be very cool. Old Hot Rods reviving up or shifting through the gears and beach surf sounds added a lot to old rock and roll tunes. You could take a hand held with you to a venue just to get that special beat and bass feel that gets people up and dancing too...

@Fang, you could do a 1st draft on tape just to show a singer what you are going for. Then have them sing it for you on a demo tape and copyright it...I like the skateboard comment on Jan and Dean's "Sidewalk Surfin" I can just picture one of them running along side in his red striped shirt, white pants, thin black belt, cool hair doo and white tennis shoes humped over with a mic at the wheels. LOL!

Take care, Larryz

@Larry: A friend of mine suggested that since none of the songs aren't going to go anywhere that I record just one verse and the chorus to each song so the intended music doesn't get lost in the vast empty space between my ears. At least I'll have enough for future reference.

@Skip: I've always been fascinated with what can be done with the simplest of sounds. When "Star Wars" first came out, I thought the sound of those "blasters" the storm troopers were firing sounded familiar. My suspicions were confirmed when somewhere down the road, an article claimed the sound engineers achieved the sound by hitting a pipe against the tension cable that helps hold up telephone poles, a thing me and my buddies used to do as kids to make a "cool sound".

Whitefang

Interesting-I have mentioned a `sound composer` from Australia named Alan Lamb, he uses high tension cables of various types in his compositions. Fortunately he is opposed to the idea of copyright, so I freely post one of his videos:

[video:youtube]

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

That's spacey stuff alright. Gets tedious after a short while, but the sounds are fascinating. Wonder how he achieved them?

Another thing we used to do was light the heads of our little green "Army guys" on fire and "groove" to the zipping noise the dripping, melted plastic would make. By the '70's, teen stoners in my area would super-tightly tie knots in plastic garbage bags, hang them up somewhere and set THEM on fire. They made a deeper but just as cool sound. They called 'em "zoomie bags".

Whitefang

Hey Guit,

If you would like to just dip your toe into the Jazz waters, let me recommend the National Guitar Workshop book "Beginning Jazz Guitar" by Jody Fischer. It is a very good, easy to follow and fun to work through book. It will introduce you to Jazz harmony. My copy is probably 14-15 years old and came with a CD. Now it comes with a DVD. Highly recommended as a first book on Jazz Guitar.

Also, +1 on using chord fragments and intervals to make the harmony more interesting.

HERE is the book. Putting it on my wishlist for later...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived