Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

5.1 Tarkus mix

Dave Bryce

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm guessing most people don't have a 5.1 system? :idk I don't.

Anyway, they've always seemed gimmicky to me. Not that they aren't fun, but they're not something I would listen to repeatedly.

Don't you watch movies at home? That's the main purpose of my 5.1 system. The remixed albums are just a bonus...

...and, for the most part, they're not at all gimmicky. There's no standard so the people remixing them all do it differently. :cool:

Imagine Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue - which was originally recorded on a 3 track - with each of the three tracks broken out discretely to the Left, Center and Right speakers... :love:

Other titles I have include Tommy, Close To The Edge and Fragile, Blow By Blow, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here, Brain Salad Surgery, Pet Sounds, Machine Head, The Beatles LOVE and Yellow Submarine...and just about every Genesis record. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Don't you watch movies at home?

Understood.

I almost exclusively watch movies, concerts and sports on TV - all of which are typically in surround, so it's worth it for me. Video games, too.... :thu:

I love the surround thing - I've been into it since I got my LaserDisc player in the late 80's, back when both of the rear speakers were mono.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I almost exclusively watch movies, concerts and sports on TV - all of which are typically in surround, so it's worth it for me. Video games, too.... :thu:

If I should ever move into an L.A. palace, I know who to call for home theater tips. :thu:

FWIW, I'm more excited about recent mono re-releases (i.e., The Beatles and Miles) and specialty vinyl re-releases. These two companies are doing gorgeous soundtracks.

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/

http://www.mondotees.com/view_category.asp?cat=19

I have a NIN CD that's 2-sided....one side is a CD (stereo), and the other side is DVD with 5.1 surround mix. I have to say I much prefer the surround mix. I accidently put it in the wrong way and it started playing as a CD and it just sounded completely flat to me, presumably since I'm used to the surround mix. It's pretty cool because it really separates out some of the parts and adds a whole level of clarity while expanding the soundstage.

EDIT: The CD was "With Teeth" and apparently they call it the "DualDisc" version....

In the US, a DualDisc version of With Teeth was released. A version referred to as the 'Tour Edition' was released in the UK, with the CD and DVD as separate discs. It came in a jewel case and had the same cover art as the DualDisc.

DualDisc CD side/Tour Edition CD includes:

-With Teeth CD audio

DualDisc DVD side/Tour Edition DVD includes:

-Entire album in 5.1 surround sound

-Entire album in high resolution stereo and 5.1 surround on DVD-Audio players

-Entire album in Dolby Digital Stereo and 5.1 surround on standard DVD players

-Music video: "The Hand That Feeds"

-Image slide show during DVD-Audio playback

-Body Of Work section with selected audio and video clips from NINs catalog

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I haven't heard his Tarkus mix, but Wilson's surround mixes for King Crimson's Lark's Toungues, Starless, and Red are amazing. Literally, I felt like I was hearing the albums for the 1st time, not the 10,000th. His own work is pretty amazing as well, "The Raven That Refused to Sing" was one of my fave albums of 2013.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

What does this mean? Does it mean on computer or something?

I would have searched for it but that doesn't work for a term like that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I assumed Stereo.

5.1 = L/C/R/SL/SR + Sub

2.0 = L/R (no sub).

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I assumed Stereo.

5.1 = L/C/R/SL/SR + Sub

2.0 = L/R (no sub).

:facepalm: Yeah, there's that. :blush:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If y'all want to check out some other 5.1 albums, I can recommend Seal's Seal IV and REM's Automatic For The People. The REM album is the gold standard of 5.1 audio as far as I'm concerned; Elliot Scheiner did it, and it's a step above every other 5.1 mix I've ever heard. I think Scheiner also did the 5.1 mix of Queen's A Night At The Opera album as well. :)

:facepalm: Yeah, there's that. :blush:

That old age is already setting in! :poke:

Dan

Haven't heard that Tarkus one either, though I do have the Brain Salad Surgery 5.1 DVD which opens things up nicely, and one of my favorites is the (Steven Wilson mastered) 40th Anniversary edition of ITCOFCK. There's lots of alternate takes, and maybe one too many remixes of "I Talk To The Wind" but still interesting listening (though the fidelity is somewhat limited by the 1969 master tape)... still sounds fierce.

For my money, one of the nicest surround remixes is Roxy Music's "Avalon" on SACD. Really a nice 3D immersive experience, remixed by Bob Clearmountain who commented that this was they he'd always imagined this album should have been heard.

I watch (and sometimes just listen to) the PULSE DVD because it's 5.1. I watch no television except for DVDs, (and some old VHS that are irreplaceable) but I went kind of nuts on my home theatre: 5.1 because I simply can't fit 7.1 in my living room, using Acoustic Research speakers for the mains and sides and Klipsch for the center, and the sound is just amazing. If you've never experience a soundstage setup, it's something you owe yourself. You can stand or sit in the diamond (the speaker convergence zone) and listen, then point to where each instrument is on the stage. It's that immersive.

Gotta go get the Tarkus 5.1, but I wish they'd put out WBMFTTSTNE on either a DVD or 5.1 mix.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Yeah, some here are into it. For my discretionary spending it's a tossup between keyboard GAS and surround music hoarding. If you happen to have a 5.1 home theater setup and haven't looked into this stuff, you're missing some addictive sonic experiences.

No one's mentioned yet another plus for 5.1 mixes, the fact that they're generally higher resolution than CD. Whether any road warriors here can still hear anything above 7kHz is a valid question, but for those who can the hi-res surround experience is pretty sweet. At last your dog can hear the upper octaves he's been missing on conventional media.

The fact that surround releases go back to the original multitracks is mostly a plus, assuming the remixer doesn't f*ck it up; in the case of ITCOTKC, Steven Wilson had access to pre-bounce-down 4-tracks, so parts that were, say, third generation even on the original master now are pristine and clear. Plus the MMO version of Epitaph for all your KC karaoke needs.

I'm not that huge a fan of the Tarkus 5.1 remix, but most of Steven Wilson's other surround remixes are in constant rotation here- XTC's Nonsuch is amazing, all the King Crimson are worth getting, and the recent Benefit/Tull remix reminds me why I used to like them.

Genesis' entire catalog was rereleased in 2-disc sets with fairly harsh and compressed CD remixes redeemed by DVDs with mostly great DTS 96/24 surround remixes that include nice video bonuses (interviews with everyone involved in each album, and on Lamb the slide show from the tour plays in sync with the surround mix).

Pick up Peter Gabriel's 'Live in Athens' on Blu-Ray, which aside from its own fine sonics includes as a bonus his 'Play' music video compilation on a conventional DVD with DTS 96/24 audio- that's sample rate/bit depth, and Daniel Lanois' remixes makes a pretty convincing case for the 5.1 experience. Turn off the TV if the videos get too distracting.

Outside of Steve Wilson's stuff I'll second the Avalon love (but it's out of print and insanely priced whenever it comes up) and any Steely Dan surround you can get ahold of. To get more keyboard-relevant, many of Elton John's albums were released on hybrid CD/SACD in surround; the two I've heard (EJ, Tumbleweed Connection) sound amazing and might still be available on Amazon or Amazon.uk.

Your plastic disc software options for 5.1 sound (listed from most to least obsolete with their upper resolution limit) are:

DTS CDs -plays on any CD player digitally connected to a DTS-capable 5.1 receiver, 48/24;

DVD-audio -requires a compatible player, 96/24 in surround or 256/24 stereo;

SACD -can include any/all of the following- CD layer, hi-res stereo layer, hi-res 5.1 layer, uses DSD digital audio, a 1-bit hi-res format not directly comparable to PCM sample rate/bit depth specs. But it sounds real good.

The current champ in terms of potential audio resolution is Blu-ray, which can stream uncompressed 5.1 PCM audio via HDMI at 192kHz sample rate, 24-bit depth. The one Blu-ray disc I own with music at this resolution sounds pretty impeccable.

I say 'via HDMI' because that's the only digital connection the electronics industry allows to carry hi-res digital audio- normal TOSlink or coax RCA digital tops off at... 48kHz, I believe, in terms of PCM audio, but DTS 96/24 can be transmitted via old-school digital connectors. Some cheap Sony Blu-ray players also play SACD in surround via HDMI. Or go whole hog and pick up an Oppo universal Blu-ray player which plays DVD-audio, SACD, Blu-ray, and pretty much anything else plastic, flat, and round that you can think of.

Sorry, I'm into this. For a minute there I thought I was on the 'Quadrophonic Quad' forum. I'll stop now.

No one's mentioned yet another plus for 5.1 mixes, the fact that they're generally higher resolution than CD.

Another benefit... you can rip the tracks to your computer, and listen to any of the 5.1 tracks isolated. Since most instruments are mixed into stationery positions, you can often find a track with the keyboard parts particularly prominent or semi-isolated, which can be really interesting for the people who frequent this forum.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I bought the new Tarkus for the new 2.0 mix (which is great) - I can't afford a 5.1 system! I do think the surround treatment would suit something like Reich's Music for 18 Musicians or Terry Riley's Rainbow in Curved Air.

Cephid - Progressive Electro Rock

Archived