Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does anyone think anything of Rendy Newman?

Super 8 mentioned that Short People reminded him of the old "I'm a Pepper, You're a Pepper" commercial. I believe I read somewhere that in the mid-1960s Randy wrote the Dr. pepper jingle while working as a advertising jingle writer.

How many of you knew that Randy also wrote "Mama told me not to come" the hit for Three Dog Night? If you think about it, the words and music are classic Randy Newman style.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by hard truth:

Super 8 mentioned that Short People reminded him of the old "I'm a Pepper, You're a Pepper" commercial. I believe I read somewhere that in the mid-1960s Randy wrote the Dr. pepper jingle while working as a advertising jingle writer.

AAAANNNNGGGHHHHH!!! Sorry, no points for you, hard truth! :D

The Dr. Pepper songwriter was noneother than Barry Manilow. On his first live album, Barry did a song and banter about the various jingles he had written, including the Dr. Pepper, McDonald's (You deserve a break today.. So get up and get away.. to McDonald's) and Pepsi (Join the Pepsi people) songs.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

One of my all time favorite albums is by Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee - it has a cover of "Sail Away" that I love. If you don't like irony, you probably won't like Randy Newman's songs.

He says things that many people say behind other's backs or just in their imagination. He's the little devil on your shoulder shouting into one ear, "Keepin' the niggers down" while the angel on your other shoulder tries to counteract.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by fantasticsound:

The Dr. Pepper songwriter was noneother than Barry Manilow. On his first live album, Barry did a song and banter about the various jingles he had written, including the Dr. Pepper, McDonald's (You deserve a break today.. So get up and get away.. to McDonald's) and Pepsi (Join the Pepsi people) songs.

Hello: I just signed on and I realized this thread is a couple months old, but actually, you're both right.

Barry Manilow wrote the "I'm a Pepper" jingle. However, in the 70s, Randy Newman wrote a jingle that ran BEFORE they started the "I'm a Pepper" campaign. It was called "The Most Original Soft Drink," and if you sing it like Randy Newman would sing it, you can see that it's very much a Randy Newman-type song:

It's not a cola

It's something much much more

It's not a root beer

There are root beers by the score

Drink Dr. Pepper

The joy of every boy and girl

It's the most original soft drink ever

In the whole wide world.

Remember that?

TT

"This is the B-side of our platter, sports fans...and I singing just for you, covered in sequins!" -- Viv Stanshall

Whoa, I'd been meaning to respond to this thread. I'm really liking this Randy Newman guy. I have Sail Away and Little Criminals so far. Sail Away is just about brilliant all the way through. God's Song is heavy. Old Man is probly the best song but man that's depressing! And I found an Art Garfunkel version on his album Angel Clare. His voice is haunting on it but I prefer Newman's version.

By the way, in Maryland, Short People is banned from the radio. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Tom Tuerff:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Hello: I just signed on and I realized this thread is a couple months old, but actually, you're both right.

Barry Manilow wrote the "I'm a Pepper" jingle. However, in the 70s, Randy Newman wrote a jingle that ran BEFORE they started the "I'm a Pepper" campaign. It was called "The Most Original Soft Drink," and if you sing it like Randy Newman would sing it, you can see that it's very much a Randy Newman-type song:

It's not a cola

It's something much much more

It's not a root beer

There are root beers by the score

Drink Dr. Pepper

The joy of every boy and girl

It's the most original soft drink ever

In the whole wide world.

Remember that?

TT

Actually, that's also part of the one Barry claims to have written. He sung the entire jingle as part of the aforementioned medley.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived