Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Classic rock songs/bands

Ross Brown

There were more than a few good '90's bands

Tagging this onto earlier mentions of deep cuts: I was glad to see "Zombie" by The Cranberries get dropped from our set list earlier this week. Never played it with this band, but they had at one point.

The Cranberries have a lot of great songs which people will recognize. "Zombie" was their greatest hit around these parts but in truth it just drags along for 5+ minutes and by the time it's done, everyone will be glad it's over (incidentally a great track by American Dog: "Glad It's Over").

My argument against this track was just that: "There were more than a few good '90's bands. Let's go and find some of them hits that no one else plays". As a band you should take a chance and trust that your audience will know (almost) as much about music as you do.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there was so much good music in the past and so much variety that it is not difficult to cover some less known group with great results.

For example, Traffic, Mountain, Huriah Heep, Taste are less played, but have some great songs, some of which can pluck string in the audience.

In the 90's there were outstanding groups, like Style Council, Everything but the Girl, Skunk Anansie, Psychedelic Furs, Simple Minds, Talk Talk and many more

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

I think we as musicians get trapped into wanting to play better songs by bands than the ones that made them popular. We think because we know it and love it so much, that other people will as well. Fact is, there's a reason why those songs weren't popular. When people go to hear a band, they're always going to respond more to the familiar. It could be the greatest song in the world, but if nobody knows it, they probably won't respond as well as to one they know that is totally crappy. Now the caveat is that if it IS a song they know and love, but nobody else is playing it, then you hit a home run. But chances are, if it's a song that would go over well, somebody else is already playing it. The exception is if it's too difficult for other bands to play. Again, here's where you have a home run - if you have a vocalist with a range that can do stuff other people can't, or a drummer that can play better than others, the list goes on. Other than that, you probably need to stick to songs people know - and not just 40 and 50 year olds if you're doing classic rock. You have to be in touch with what classic rock songs are known to 20 and 30 year olds. A lot of them were ones that were included in more recent movie sound tracks or remade by modern bands. For instance, we do I'm a Believer. It was remade by smashmouth and was in Shrek. Everybody down to children know the song. Everybody knows beatles songs as long as you stick to the popular ones and don't break out the more obscure ones. Most people know all the popular Led Zeppelin tunes. Bands like Styx, Kansas, Journey, Foreigner all go over well with a wide age range if you can play them. There are a couple classic rock bands around here that are doing very well (we're doing better than most), and a whole ton of them not doing well at all. Most of it is song selection, theme, and ability.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I think we as musicians get trapped into wanting to play better songs by bands than the ones that made them popular.

I think it often also boils down to wanting to play songs you like vs. songs you can actually play. Years back I was in a classic rock band and one of the guitarists shared my love for Heep. So at some point he said: "Let's play Easy Livin'!" Why not, it's one of their hit songs so some people are bound to know that one, right? Well, he couldn't play the twiddly part in the chorus - so he suggested we leave that out :facepalm:

My rockabilly band did a lot of stuff which was more obscure, but we really put our hearts into it - this was before all the drama :) And people reacted to that as well. I will partially agree and say you will need to play the hits, but I believe you CAN get away with playing deep cuts, if chosen wisely.

I agree. It really depends on the band and what you're doing. As an example, tribute band can play lots of obscure stuff because the crowd are fans of the tribute and like all of their catalog.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I think it often also boils down to wanting to play songs you like vs. songs you can actually play.

As is so often the case in playing Geezer Rock in Jurassic Rock Bands, you end up stuck playing the same crap the singer/guitar wants to play because he's been playing the same crap since 1972. You don't have to learn new chords. You don't have to learn new inversions. You don't have to learn new modes. OR new progressions. Hell, you even have the band drop tune a half note or two so we don't even have to change the hand position on the fret board to compensate for the loss of range that 45 years of two packs of Marlboro Reds will do to you.

I should post when I'm buzzing on house reds. It makes me ornery.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

As is so often the case in playing Geezer Rock in Jurassic Rock Bands, you end up stuck playing the same crap the singer/guitar wants to play because he's been playing the same crap since 1972.

If we weren't ocean's apart, I would swear you and I played with the same guitarist :grin:

As is so often the case in playing Geezer Rock in Jurassic Rock Bands, you end up stuck playing the same crap the singer/guitar wants to play because he's been playing the same crap since 1972.

If we weren't ocean's apart, I would swear you and I played with the same guitarist :grin:

They are everywhere over here..... everywhere....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

There's nothing wrong with playing "Smoke on the Water."

Oh. Wait. Yes there is.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

"Zombie" by The Cranberries

We made this work by pushing the dynamics. Yes, the verses kind of drag along, but play them more reserved for a bigger contrast. When the chorus comes along everyone play loudly and with passion; make it a real head banger. (Helps if the singer can really belt it out here.)

Are there better female lead songs from the '90s? Maybe, but not many rock out as much as "Zombie". (Well, I do tend to similarly rock out "What's Up?".) Others we did were: "I'm the Only One" (Melissa Etheridge), "B*tch" (Meredith Brooks), "Cannonball" (Breeders), "Fade Into You" (Mazzy Starr), "You Oughta Know" (Alanis Morissette) and "Just a Girl" (No Doubt).

Yes, this is a frustration I'm sure many of us have shared.

OTOH, I do have some sympathy for these devils. It can take a lot of effort as a singer to find songs that fit your voice and rehearse them to "stage ready". It takes a lot of time and effort to build up to 40 songs.

If you're the only lead singer it's much easier to go with the 40 you already know and have ready than to work out new ones.

Unless you're dealing with big egos the best way to get 5-10 songs on the set list that you want is by singing lead on them.

Archived