Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

anyone still use editor/librarian software

Leh173

So anyone still using editor/librarian software? I used to use Galaxy Librarian (never had the editors) and Sounddiver, which now no longer works on Mountain Lion. I still have these programs on my old Powerbook G4, but wondering if there is any modern equivalent. Does anyone use Unisysn from MOTU? It's a shame this sort of stuff seems to disappear. I'm enjoying my hardware instruments more than ever.
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been temped by MIDI Quest 10 XL but hate to pay the price. Years ago I had one of these products and at the time you had to be very care about software versions of the hardware. Upgrading the flash bios on a module could cause problems with the editor.

At least MIDI Quest supports Win 7. Don't remember the software that I had, but the developer stopped supporting it and I tossed it when it would not install on my XP computers.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Funny, I was planning to ask a very similar related question about software editors for hardware. I have a JV-90 that I'd love to be able to shuffle the patches and do some editing on and am interested in what editors people (still) use. I agree on the cost of MIDIQuest. It may be because they support so many different boards so the support cost is high or that they're the only game left in town and can charge whatever they want.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

So anyone still using editor/librarian software? I used to use Galaxy Librarian (never had the editors) and Sounddiver, which now no longer works on Mountain Lion. I still have these programs on my old Powerbook G4, but wondering if there is any modern equivalent. Does anyone use Unisysn from MOTU? It's a shame this sort of stuff seems to disappear. I'm enjoying my hardware instruments more than ever.

Yes, I´m using the same applications on Powerbook G3 w/ Emagic MT-4 MIDI interface ... :laugh:

Have the Galaxy + editors too but prefer Emagic Sounddiver.

RABid mentions MidiQuest and I fear that´s the only competitor to the old and trusty editor/bankmanagers.

But what I´ve heard it´s still buggy and I have the same experience w/ modern editor/bankmangers,- the Soundtower PC3 editor p.ex..

Soundtower offers other editors too, but I don´t know how these are.

Can be, all depends on the sysex documentation and it is better for other synths than for the Kurzweil PC3.

I´m interested in their KORG WS editor http://www.soundtower.com/synth/wavestation.htm because I´ll keep my Korg Wavestation SR forever and have no probs to swap editor software over to PC.

I´m also enjoying my hardware instruments and as long I´ll have a lot of old(er) machines I´ll use the old software because it fits best.

A.C.

P.S.:

Here´s a OT question because you use a Powerbook G4 for Sounddiver and Galaxy.

Actually my Powerbook G4 DVI 800 has OS X 10.4.11 installed and it runs the Soundtower Kurzweil PC3 editor.

I´d like to run Mac OS 9.22 in a dual boot (maybe on separate drive) together w/ OS X 10.4.11 but it wanted me to install OS9 1st then run the OS 9 apps in OS X classic mode which wasn´t ideal w/ Sounddiver v3.05.

My target is to have all on the Powerbook G4 DVI and get rid of the PB G3 and actually I could only realize that w/ Sounddiver, then boot into OS X 10.4.11 when using the Soundtower PC3 editor.

Any idea how to manage on a PB G4 ?

If yes, please shoot a PM.

thx

Thanks for that info Al. PM sent as well.

Sound like this is a bit of an area of frustration. Shame as some old synths can still do a lot but editing menu driven stuff through tiny LCD's sucks. Also my LCD on my D-70 has gotten damaged, so I'm need to program it externally. Shame as it's screen is actually quite good old synths, there's always something! I read as well that MIDI Quest is buggy I guess these days modern synths come with their own editors. I still have a DX7 and Juno 106 editor running is OS9 I'll see what else is out there.

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Thanks for that info Al. PM sent as well.

Thx !

Check your PMs please.

I put something in my Dropbox for you.

Today I investigated in MOTU Unisyn and I´m not sure if it is still available here,- but it is also an expensive tool.

Here´s a sysex librarian for OS X and it´s free.

Better than nothing ...

http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

And freeware too ...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsynthlib/

for all platforms,- but depends on which synths/modules you own.

http://sourceforge.net/p/jsynthlib/wiki/Home/

supported synths

Some discussing Unisyn on the web recommended it, but I didn´t test because it doesn´t support much of my gear.

Maybe yours ...

A.C.

I might this sourceforge one out! I have the sysex librarain, good as a backup tool.

ah the sourceforge app is years old! but will try on my old Powerbook!

• 3 months later...

I was going to post a question about Midiquest, but it looks like this thread isn't that old...

I have the SoundTower editor for W/S and a separate editor for my XV-3080. The W/S editor isn't too bad, but mostly I just use it for loading sysex banks (the W/S is a bear to program even on a PC screen). I haven't had much luck with the XV editor. It was only fifty bucks, but it locks up on me frequently.

Are there any Midiquest users on the forum? With the diversity of synths in the forum, I would think someone would have a need for a multi-editor/librarian.

Sundown

Just finished: The Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I gradually went in another direction. I used SoundDiver for a while, but it began to feel like too much of a time-suck. I started building better track sheets and defining my palette early on, which cut out a lot of leaping around. Whether using hardware or softsynths, it was self-disciplining and less stressful. A few years back, I committed to Logic, Autosampled a mass of my hardware into the EXS24 sampler and now, my library covers all of the bases in one place. I still play my hardware natively for some unique things that speak better from the source, but since I already know it well, its a snap to either use the sampled base waves or (rarely) sample whatever is missing. I can easily understand having a fierce luv for a nice tool like an XV-anything and really needing an editor. That's a close cousin to building an added set or three for any synth you own, for the sake of properly exploiting its range. I simply reached a point where the very small compromises I've made have been rewarded multifold in the quality of both my work-flow & my fun-flow. Its not the solution for everyone, but its one of several respectable choices that work.

http://www.motu.com/products/software/unisyn/profiles.html

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

I tried the SoundTower editor for my XV-3080 again today, and it was actually not bad... A few bugs here and there, but nothing like my experience before. There are some design decisions/GUI decisions that I would have done differently (tone multi-select isn't available), but it does beat using the rack itself. I looked at the screen shots for Midiquest for the XV, and I'm not sure it would be any better.

I wish there were more offerings in this category, but maybe it says something about the percentage of people who program their own sounds. Maybe we are living in a preset world.

Sundown

Just finished: The Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Archived