Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Contract forms?

picker

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is one of the items supplied to members of the Musician's Union. Many Locals have contract guarantee funds that will pay scale wages to the members of the band and then go to small claims court with you to help you recoup the full amount. Once that happens then the Local Union is payed back the money fronted.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I found a nice generic one online a while back. Let's see if I can find it again.

One thing that really worried me was event insurance. The venue should have insurance for its staff, but if you're coming in as an independent contractor you may not be covered by it if, for example, your PA speaker falls down and hits someone or someone trips over a loose cable and face plants.

You can buy event insurance -- Wally can probably tell you about what is available through AFM -- but it can be pricey. Obviously the cost should be passed on to the client, but if he/she is unwilling to foot the bill then there should be some sort of "hold harmless" clause instead.

Legal documents can be tricky. You're always better off having a pro (entertainment lawyer) handle them.

Consider for example what would happen if you name performers by name and one passes away prior to the show. If you didn't include a clause about how to handle that or a way to make changes to the contract you'd be legally bound to perform with the corpse of your departed bandmate!

There are a number of bands that have their liability insurance through the insurance company that works with the AFM. The bands that have taken advantage of this tell me it isn't expensive. Every situation is analyzed by the company so one can't give a standard rate. They look at the number and types of engagements that a band performs.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Does anybody have a good contract for a band engagement, on a dgital file?

Really, a contract is only as good as the likelihood of a judge to uphold it.

I heard a lawyer say one time that he's seen a lot of people get hung out to dry by those lawyer dot com contracts and the like. They are almost too generic and don't always conform to state laws.

It may be worth the time and effort to review contract best practices with a lawyer familiar with the local and state laws.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Archived