Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Back To Bassics

Paul K

Pino's playing a Precision with flats.

Michael League is playing a Precision with flats.

Looks like it's time for me to put the flats back on my Precision.

On that subject, I was at a GC over the weekend, they had a new lefty American Standard P-bass, on clearance for $850! I was immediately seized by a GAS attack. Fortunately, I was able to unplug it and put it back in the rack and exit the store in time. I really don't need another bass, let alone this one, but there is still nothing like a P-bass, especially with flats. Maybe 2014 will bring me both the money and a gig that justifies the purchase of just such a bass as this one.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So update.

Over the spring and summer my right shoulder got silly worse. Numb fingers, lower arm hurt, shoulder hurt, I was even having a hard time doing optometry. I thought it was curtains for me. And Poppa's gotta pay the bills, don'cha know. Chiropractor didn't help. But in the fall I did one session of rolfing because I had won an hour long session as a door prize at some function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolfing

Wow. It hurt. But three days later I was 90% better. Totally amazing. I've since also changed up my weight lifting regimen; the weights don't go up as high on a bunch of dumbbell exercises. That has helped a whole lot. I can play the canoe paddle Steinberger at home if I do the sideways-like-Pino stance but haven't taken it out to a gig. Perhaps it will come out at the next blues jam or when the kirtan chant thing has an hour gig. We'll see.

Rolfing. So. There's that.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived