Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name an incredible bassist who didn't start in childhood....

sonofabill

Grab any such opportunities if for no other reason than to find out if it is for YOU.

I think this is great advice.

Touring and studio musicians play mostly original music.

While locally openings for unknowns are with folks who are mostly 18-25, there are still opportunities for, say, someone who is 37. If you can't find any in your area then you'll have to start something yourself.

It can be easier if you can record/perform as a solo musician. Unfortunately this is often more difficult for rhythm section players but not impossible: there are several instrumental solo bass artists (e.g. LDLD's Steve Lawson). Of course more things are possible if you can sing.

Don't overlook non-traditional ensembles (e.g. LDLD's Clatter, bass and drums duo).

* Join your local NSAI chapter, if available.

* Enroll in TAXI and regularly (e.g. monthly) submit new material.

* Challenge your band (or yourself) to come up with a new song regularly for shows or the weekly open jams/mics.

* Put together a regional tour, however small (i.e. 3 cities in your state).

* Learn the business side of the music business.

* Find out what else you can do to be successful (e.g. Youtube videos).

It's a little bit easier to get your foot in the door if you've worked with Nashville greats (even if it was just an NSAI workshop), got a song placed in a film (through TAXI), sold CDs/downloads (perhaps through CDBaby), regularly played out (and hopefully built a fan base), have actual tour experience and know the rules of the game. It's even easier when you know the other folks in your local music scene.

If your material charts or sells a lot of units or goes viral online people will take notice.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jaco Pastorius. He didn't start playing the bass until he was around 18-19. Before that he was the drummer for Wayne Cochran and the CC Riders.. he had the teeth pulled on his old Jazz bass in around '73... the amazing thing was, during band breaks, while everyone else was out in back of the clubs we played at in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale beaches getting high, he would be in a dressing room practicing with his F. Simandl book, every night... really...

And then there's Nancy Hopp, who picked up the bass at the ripe old age of 54 and, to the relief of many, has considered putting it back down again at 60. :laugh:

Now don't make me hit I-70 and drive over there. I'd hate to have to chastise you sorely...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

How about me. Didn't start playing the bass until my late teens and I'm incredible! Well, incredibly mediocre. :)

+1.

A bass player I met in the 70's at a jam session made the comment to me after coming off the stage and being totally at the top of my game "Incredibly adequate and outstanding mediocre". We became good friends after that and turned each other onto gigs when busy. Even though he now lives in another city we still stay in touch.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived