Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

West coast vs east coast guitar player/playing

Ross Brown

Is there a difference? Does it matter? Can they play together?

Last excuse from now fired guitar player as to why he couldn't play well... he is an east coast guitar player, other guy is a west coast guitar player.... WFT? First time I heard about this...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even so, that shouldn't be an excuse for poor playing. I think that regardless of what instrument one plays, they should eventually reach a level of competence to be able to adapt to various styles and grooves. To me it sounds like a cop-out. (just my opinion)

I used to think I had a handle on the whole "in front/on the beat/behind the beat" thing. Then I saw an instructional video some drummer put out. He demonstrated all three by playing the same 4/4 drum pattern, and I couldn't feel, hear or see any difference. I thought he was joking, but apparently not. So, I'm not as sanguine about the topic as I once was.

By the same token, I've played with a multiplicity of drummers over the years, some of whom I'm told played at different places relative to the beat, and never had any problem playing along with any of them. It may be that because the feel the ensemble puts into or on any given song has always dictated the way I play. I guess one of the hazards of being self-taught, and learning by ear is knowing how to do things on my instruments that I have no name (or the wrong name for). But playing by feel has served me pretty well in a lot of ways. Maybe this is one of them.

In any event, I can maybe see the guitarist in question saying he has a preference for one feel over the other, but making it hard or impossible to play with people using either one just doesn't seem likely to me. Sounds like you're better off without him.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

yes. Nice guy but he refused to prepare. This excuse was interesting and new...

The rehearsal without him was much much better....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Well, there is certainly a difference between east coast and west coast swing dancing.

Maybe I don't play enough guitar but if two guitars are trading rhythm and lead I don't see an issue. If they're trying to play a dual lead then, yes, the phrasing will be a mess.

Oh, the rhythms will be a trainwreck, too, at least at first. East Coast Bob didn't seem like he wanted to put in the work to make the different rhythm feels compliment each other. As a guitar player myself, I can tell you that it's a LOT of work to make two guitarists groove flawlessly together.

Oh, the rhythms will be a trainwreck, too, at least at first. East Coast Bob didn't seem like he wanted to put in the work to make the different rhythm feels compliment each other. As a guitar player myself, I can tell you that it's a LOT of work to make two guitarists groove flawlessly together.

Yes, I believe it is a lot of work.... and when one of them is not interested in working at it... it is worse...

Archived