Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Day I stop Moving / Showcase the Keys as furniture

tarkus

Ultimately, one day wife and I will find a home in a place we will never leave.

Currently renting an apartment. When the big score happens and I can quit the rat-race I'm thinking Hawaii to sit out the end.

I had a baby grand - and the word baby never found a truer application. I could not afford to maintain that one as it was always giving me problems.

The cracked soundboard and fractured pivots rendered it an expensive hunk of furniture.

I contemplted removing the harp (the pian parts) and installing a weighted 88 key controller while "hiding" various rack modules inside the furniture.

Nope - that wasn't to happen either.

What I almost started to do back in NJ was build a console for my keyboards. Losing all my gear in a fire put that plan on hold and the horror of the post conflagration ruin is indelible.

When I started aquiring bits and pieces again the crazy Idea popped up again.

Original plan was to have a nice wooden console (attractive furniture) with sliding shelves for the KB's to reside when not being dragged to gigs or studio.

Now, since I'm no longer doing gigs or studio work I look at confused tangle of wires, and the ultimate stand that cradles my boards, amps stacked up... an eye sore.

If I had the dough and the space, I would hire a gifted carpenter to build the console to my specs. But I would also pull the guts from the KB boxes and really go custom.

Think of an Allen Organ console but with the Guts of your favorite high end gear.

http://www.allenorgan.com/www/installations/installations/int/inst00171/page1.html

Mine would be overkill too. ;)

The guts I have and that would include Amps speakers, effects etc...

I recall a few KBer's posting their custom KB's (one guy did a great job on a two manual board with waterfall keys!).

Some of the vintage synth restorations have been fantastic.

Rather than restoring a mini-moog with shiny new cherry panels and a nice satin finish, what about building a combination KB featuring your gear in all its regalia?

I know many of you have thought of it, but has anyone accomplished it.

show some pics!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The piano player from Zac Brown Brown has his Nord inside a old Spinet cabinet.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The only problem with a beautiful "high end, custom fitted, all the cables perfectly dressed and hidden" solution is that if you succumb to even the the slightest episode of GAS - you end up having to bastardize your beautiful "high end, custom fitted, all the cables perfectly dressed and hidden" solution to retrofit a piece of gear it wasn't designed to hold - such that it's no longer a "high end, custom fitted, all the cables perfectly dressed and hidden" solution - but instead turn it into a wood grained version of the mess you were trying to avoid in the first place.
The SpaceNorman :freak:

^^^true that is a pitfall and the ever Present GAS...

The other problem is the "life" of the guts from my machines. Eventually they will crap-out, but I have some Ideas considered.

It's not like choppin your chevy in highschool... (I had a Lemans), but then again, if you cut the wheel wells to fit the mags, you're pretty much done with it.

Archived