Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trying to get the guitars to fit in the mix

I'll probably have to listen on Friday evening. Got some recording and stuff until then that's gonna eat up my time.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]Well, I got your email, and there's a file attached, but I've tried to download it several times now and I get an error each time. Anyone else having any problems with it?[/b][/quote]Phil, supermodels are a tease. I wonder what the problem is. I'm gonna try sending a shorter song to you. If that doesn't work then...hmm...I'll try somethin' else. Rog-O. I'm glad it sounds better obviously. I had this song tacked on near the end of the CD before but now I think it'll fit at #2 or #5. Think uncle Bill and aunt Olive will like it? :D As for the drums, I backed way off on the compression on DoubleLight and to me, there is less of that swoosh. I'm not noticing it so much but perhaps that's objectivity loss. I had too much comp on a lot of the drums though. Hopefully that's it. Recording the drums to a stereo file was limiting. I'll get a Layla or something and record them less like Ringo Starr next time. With my new Oktava mics! Still, no excuses, I should be able to get a solid drum sound. The tough thing is to get the snare to jump out with out having to much high end in the cymbals. I'll check that EQ. Ok...back to work. Muchos gracious Ken, Kylen, Phil, Mr Darling and everyone else.

[quote]Originally posted by LanceMo: [b]>>>As for the drums, I backed way off on the compression on DoubleLight and to me, there is less of that swoosh. I'm not noticing it so much but perhaps that's objectivity loss. I had too much comp on a lot of the drums though. Hopefully that's it. Recording the drums to a stereo file was limiting. I'll get a Layla or something and record them less like Ringo Starr next time. With my new Oktava mics! Still, no excuses, I should be able to get a solid drum sound. The tough thing is to get the snare to jump out with out having to much high end in the cymbals. I'll check that EQ.<<<[/b][/quote]Dude, I'm just kinda thinking out loud here but there must be some multi-band compressor plug-in you could use to help minimize the effect the compression is having on the highs of your stereo drum tracks while still giving you a nice punchy snare. If you could manage to split the very highest frequencies off and basically just soft-limit them, then maybe you could get away with a higher comp ratio on the snare frequencies? I know that TC Electronics "Triple C" (or whatever it's called) can do this type of thing so I'm sure there's a plug out there that'll do it too. Anybody know of a good one?
None more black.

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I received both songs. Friday evening, maybe Sat morning I'll try and listen to them and hopefully have something intelligent to say! :)

[quote] Anybody know of a good one? [/quote]I think LanceMo has Sonar3 - there's a pretty good Untrafunk multi-band comp/lim in there that has both VCA and opto (called Vintage) type compression. It's got 5 bands and sounds pretty good to me. kylen

I like to use a multi-band limiter set to only control the low end while preserving the low and high mids and highs. This allows them to be loud in the mix without the associated out of control low end. I also like to save EQing as a last resort only after seeing how they sit in the mix. I almost never scoop mids. I usually give them a 4:1 dosage of 1176 before mixdown (as I don't compress or limit guitars at all during tracking).

I downloaded one of themm "Light", but not the other. It's showing as an attachment on my email server, but for some reason, it won't download. I have no idea what that means. Sorry. I spent a lot of time on it last evening, and couldn't get it to work. The other one is there, but I haven't had time to listen to it because of the technical difficulties. What I also have to do is burn "Light" on to a CD and play it on my monitors because right now, I can only listen to it on these cheap Apple multi-media computer speakers that are about the size of a small sandwich.

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]I downloaded one of themm "Light", but not the other. It's showing as an attachment on my email server, but for some reason, it won't download. I have no idea what that means. Sorry. I spent a lot of time on it last evening, and couldn't get it to work. The other one is there, but I haven't had time to listen to it because of the technical difficulties. What I also have to do is burn "Light" on to a CD and play it on my monitors because right now, I can only listen to it on these cheap Apple multi-media computer speakers that are about the size of a small sandwich.[/b][/quote]Bummer. Maybe it's the size of the file. I'll convert the Supermodel to a smaller file. Hopefully the quality won't be too bad. I'm making the final push on these tonight and tomorrow. The mastering guy said it's no problem to take an extra week or two which was cool of him. I want to push as if I'm gonna send it out on Monday. If I need to take a week to review it I will.

[quote]Originally posted by where02190: [b]Hey Phil, maybe your Adams are preventing you from downloading it because they are after all the holy grail..... Jeezz.....[/b][/quote]:rolleyes: Looks like I'm not the only person who had a problem with it. And besides, I'd say the problem is more likely to be my sucky MSN email and not anything to do with the ADAM's. :)

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b] [quote]Originally posted by where02190: [b]Hey Phil, maybe your Adams are preventing you from downloading it because they are after all the holy grail..... Jeezz.....[/b][/quote]:rolleyes: Looks like I'm not the only person who had a problem with it. And besides, I'd say the problem is more likely to be my sucky MSN email and not anything to do with the ADAM's. :) [/b][/quote]No luck eh Phil? Well thanks a lot for tryin'. I'll get some stuff online by mid January or so. Hope to pick your brain then. :thu:

Dude, I am really really sorry. I have been doing a mastering project for someone since 11:00 and then got hit with fixing up someone's web site. The whole day has been largely wasted overcoming obstacles (they're all fixed, fortunately) and has been really aggravating, and I'm totally fried. I'm very very sorry. I told you I was going to listen to it on Friday evening or Sat morning, and I haven't even give it a single listen yet. I still cannot download the other one. Only "Light"...ah, well.

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Dude, I am really really sorry. I have been doing a mastering project for someone since 11:00 and then got hit with fixing up someone's web site. The whole day has been largely wasted overcoming obstacles (they're all fixed, fortunately) and has been really aggravating, and I'm totally fried. I'm very very sorry. I told you I was going to listen to it on Friday evening or Sat morning, and I haven't even give it a single listen yet. I still cannot download the other one. Only "Light"...ah, well.[/b][/quote]No worries, Ken. I sent you and Phil a smaller Supermodel file last night. It was like 3.7 MB. I'm thinking there's a limit on the size of the attachments. Check it out if you can. If not, no worries. Talk to ya soon, bro and under no circumstances are you to feel guilt! To everyone but Ken: Can you believe this guy? Told me he's check out my tune and... :D

Lance, if you can get someone to put them up on their server, I'll D/L them and give them a listen. Heck, if you have someone with the file space, U/L the 16 bit WAV if you want - I've got a fast cable modem and D/L'ing 80 MB or whatever isn't a problem - but the problem I am having is exactly the same as the one Ken described - file shows up as an attachment but when I try to D/L I get a error message. Sorry 'bout that. :(

Archived