Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ibanez Ashula bass

rizzo9247

Very interesting fretted/fretless combo....discuss...

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/bass/products/SR2010ASC.gif

"Most bassists like the sure and true notes of fretted basses, while others prefer the fluid and expressive tone of the fretless. Ibanez decided to give bass players a little of bothin one bass! Introducing the SR2010ASC Ashula, the worlds first fret/fretless hybrid bass guitar. Four fretted strings are tuned normal E-A-D-G to cover cool bass lines, while the two fretless strings are tuned to the same D and G as the fretted strings for more fluid and dramatic fretless solo work. Ashula features a Light Ash body with 5-piece Jatoba/Bubinga neck, with onboard Ashula EQ. The special humbucking Sonic Arch pickups are double coiled in a single-coil housing. Get the best of both bass worlds and go hybrid with the SR2010ASC Ashula bass, only from Ibanez."

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR2010ASC

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe this is the first fret/fretless hybrid bass guitar as they have stated. It may be the first that have doubled two strings having them available to be played either way. If I remember correctly the others in the past had frets and then a higher fretless area.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Very interesting fretted/fretless combo....discuss...

http://resources.ibanez.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/bass/products/SR2010ASC.gif

It's not very pretty.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

I've seen a demo video, it sounds pretty good. They should have made the fretless pickup have an optional output so a player could run the chorus/flange FX only for those strings.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

To be honest I would rather a double neck 4x4 or 5x4. It would probably be less awkward to play and I find double necks damned awkward to play.

I would also prefer this bass as a fretted six.

Push the button Frank.

Wow, sales of this bass should be through the roof, based on the excited responses in this thread. :/

But yes - not attractive, not particularly useful, and not cheap. Three strikes.

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

I don't like the looks of that fingerboard at all. I would think playing that G string would be uncomfortable. I could see myself constantly banging into those fret ends. A pretty half-baked concept IMHO.

To quote Horse from the Ren and Stimpy show..."Nosir, I don't like it."

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

So I guess the idea is you play standard bass while comping, but when you launch into solo mode you go all-Jaco on the top strings?

It's an interesting concept, but too bad it's an active bass.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 6 months later...

I think the bass is very unique, in fact I contacted the local shop to order one and after a few days they called me back telling me that they are no longer available. So I found one on eBay, it was brand new and never played.. the day I get it I was blown away!! it was beautiful, well balanced and the tone was great!! but the wasn't fond of the EADG_DG thing.

In fact.. it got old real fast! only D-G fret less wasn't my cup of tea, not to mention the whole separate fret less control concept.. that was an issue. So I restrung it to B-E-A-D-G-C but has issues with the nut!! OMG!!!so I call my buddy at the local shop and asked him to refret the whole dang neck and re-cut the nut, this bass was way too gorges to just let go... So when I got it back i was stoked to the second level. so now its a full fretted 6 string bass! As for the crazy fretless controls I soldered the fretless pickup in parallel with the fretted bridge pickup so both works as one and this bass kicks ass. The extended pickups on the rear give this bass an insane tone like a Music man Sting Ray and the rest of the tone is just fat

think, though, about how the pickup is different for the GC strings than for the rest of the bass. if the tonality really works for what he's playing, why not? i admit my first reaction was more derisive, but it makes sense to me from tht angle.

I'm glad you brought this insight to it.

My question to zilla316 was going to be: Why not just sell the Ashula and buy a 6 string? Is the finish that great? But the tone could be a deciding factor, I'll grant that.

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, I could have sold it and got a 6 but I guess I like the combination between the hardware and the finish of the ashlua bass. its still one of a kind even more now, but I think Im going to order another mini pickup to have the neck pickup routed to add it to the neck pickup to match the rear...also this will give the G and C a fatter fuller tone.

• 2 weeks later...

this is the bass with the neck sonic arch add, the reason for this is for years Ive played jazz basses with my balance centered, so on this one that fullness was missing, So adding this pickup adds that exact reason. so this bass is fully functional and sounds awesome. I called Ibanez and they had a few pickups in stock.it cost me $42.00 plus shipping. so this is really a one of a kind bass and it has a very rich sound.

Yeah I could have easily bought a 6 string but I love projects and mods but.. I'm not one who would overboard with mods

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/4649/img4910bh.jpg

Not crazy about the milky finish. A clear or better yet a tinted finish would have looked better IMHO. I've always liked the Soundgear style body. Congrats on the refret job and I bet it does sound great! Shoot, if you love the bass why not fix it up?

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived