Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keith Emerson forgot Lucky Man solo so looks in Keyboard Mag

Fusioneer

Learning my recorded guitar solos (which are all short and sweet) would be EASY; the problem would be to REMEMBER them, LOL. But while I gladly recreate PARTS, why would I want to recreate an improvised solo, unless it was really exceptional; why not play it how I feel it today, not years ago??

But "Lucky Man" is so well known Keith evidently felt he had to at least come close to the original.

I really envy people who seem to have near-total musical recall. It must come in handy, LOL!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, this is totally bogus. The guy is a schooled monster player. I did a note for note transcription of Hoe Down in 1973 and put a jazz break in the middle of it and I don't have half the background he has. In 1976 the band I was with was one of the opening acts for ELP and I was there for their sound check. KE was doing some killer complex classical stuff on a 9 foot grand. If Dave could transcribe Squib Cakes, KE can do his own effin solo. Please. If I were him I'd be embarrassed to ask for the transcription of my own solo. Is he really that deaf?

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Archived