Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this the Beatles's most powerful performance ?

d  halfnote

Sometimes the most powerful communication is the simplest.

Listen to the ferocity of their vocals & playing.

Have you ever heard GH play with such raging effect ?

& Ringo !!!

Dig him.

J&P, of course, lead the charge in exemplary fashion.

Kudos also to the editor, who cuts in the commentary with great wit.

Note how the transition to their oldest recorded composition is introduced as "Is that their new record ?"

d=halfnote

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may wish to repost the link D, so we can click on it...

Thanks! Yeah Yeah Yeah...very cool, I have seen it before and it was well worth watching again...loved Georges' lead on that Tele in the 2nd song too... :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Heard and seen it many times before, d, but it don't get old.

Imagine(no pun intended)! All of a sudden people going about their business are surprised by a free Beatles concert! Playing on their OWN PROPERTY, and the cops try to STOP IT!

I feel the vibe they felt while going about it is what helped with the intensity of the playing. That and maybe the cold.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah... heard it all before... and as Whitefang put it - it don't get old.

They were the greatest band of all time - PERIOD.

There is not even a close second IMHO.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Love the slap/echo/reverb and occasional chorusy modulation effects when heard from the street-level, all caused by the unnatural natural acoustics. :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Really cool...and with Billy Preston too!

Was the this around the time Paul was hoping to get the band back to its raw live roots?

Any era Beatles is sublime.

Love the slap/echo/reverb and occasional chorusy modulation effects when heard from the street-level, all caused by the unnatural natural acoustics. :cool:

+1.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Nevermind all that stuff. Paul's beard was fantastic.

Hahhaahhahhaahhaahh!!

'Sgot NOTHIN' on Elmore James- or Spock's beard, either!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I have no idea which performance this is as I'm at work and won't be home again for a week (I'm leaving for New Mexico shortly for the summer opera season), so have no access to audio or video at the moment, but am guessing it's the rooftop concert?

A few months ago, I chanced upon some videos of Beatles concerts from Japan, and was blown away. To me, these FAR outshine ANY of their other performances, in the studio or in concert. The earlier ones are best, as eventually even the Japanese began to scream like the American audiences. But the earlier shows have them experimenting quite a bit with arrangements, instrumentation, etc. It was quite a revelation. See if you can find the links; it's possible they've been shut down by now.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

That one has screaming at the start; the ones I'm thinking of were probably the Japanese equivalent of BBC's "Top of the Pops", with just a few songs at each appearance.

Sorry I can't do much to help in hunting down the links right now; just got back and I moved right before the short trip. I only got my audio hooked up a half hour ago so need to prioritize stuff I'm behind on first.

Just thinking about how many concerts the Beatles played in their first few years makes me tired -- and here I play 6-10 multi-set gigs a month myself atop a day job.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I think I must have been mistaken about the live videos I saw earlier being from Japan, as the Budoken concerts seem to be their only visit to Japan, and those are from 1966.

Now I'm thinking it might have been Switzerland, Sweden, or elsewhere on the Continent, where audiences were more restrained at the time. These would have been earlier, from '62 through '64.

I did find one live song from Sweden and the audience was "polite". I'll search for more as time allows.

At any rate, I made the mistake of clicking on the full Japan concert video and of course couldn't hit the stop button, it was so mesmerizing.

Though only "Yesterday" varies much from the recording (for obvious reasons), there is an amazing almost-punk energy to all of the material, and the band sounds bigger than it is.

Much of this can be attributed to Ringo, the most underrated drummer in rock. Watching him, really brings that point home.

George is the under-performer, unfortunately, probably being a bit more stage-shy than the others. He is off-key when singing, and Ringo grimaces every time George makes a mistake, misses a cue, or isn't in tune. Even so, he's a joy to watch.

I get a kick out of the mics that wouldn't stand still, thinking what the band must have been dealing with and how they rose above it all to deliver a performance full of passion and fun.

• 1 month later...
...I may be mistaken, but I think the roof top performances, are atop the "Apple" building, and were used in the filming of The Let it Be movie, which was kind of cool, because it showed the tension between the "Fab Four" as they were growing apart musically...very sad though :-(

I don't think they were growing apart musically as much as they were just "growing apart". After six years of intense touring, recording, movie making and virtually being attached at the wrists and ankles, it's to their credit that they haven't had several fist fights before then. I never thought it was a case of egos being too big, but rather egos being too stifled. the comic strip "Zits" has two characters known as "RichandAmy", a high school couple who are seen constantly with their arms wrapped around each other and known to their peers as one entity. This is sort of what The Beatles were going through, and eventually each began to get weary of it in their own way. Even the most devoted married couples sometime have to have some "apart time" to keep from throttling each other.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I don't think they were growing apart musically as much as they were just "growing apart". After six years of intense touring, recording, movie making and virtually being attached at the wrists and ankles,

Even longer. John & Paul had met in 1957, & The Beatles (them, Harrison & Sutcliffe,) had been playing under that name since 1960. So they'd been intricately involved in each other's lives for more than a third of their lives by the time they broke up. And during that time they had become adults, & married with families. So the basic social unit had shifted from The Beatles being basically a boys club, to the individuals being family guys. Their priorities had changed. And they were no longer driven by the ambition to become something. They had already surpassed all their wildest ambitions by 1970. They needed a break from each other.

Scott Fraser

Even longer. Paul knew George in grade school and rode home with him on the bus. They would learn new chords and practice guitars together (even though George was much younger than Paul)...Paul brought George into the group as both he and John wanted another guitar player in the group. They had to cancel part of their 1st tour as George was too young to play in the clubs in Germany...George considered John as his mentor. (this is from memory of a Beatles documentry so don't quote me).

Take care, Larryz

I have long thought I Got A Feeling was one of the most powerful pieces in their catalog. The sheer simplicity and reliance on dynamics to push it forward make it so compelling to me. I find myself reminded of Howlin' Wolf's Smokestack Lightning, and Rory Gallegher's Middle Name. It's more complicated that Wolf's song, but it has a similar hitch in it's gitalong. Love that song.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Even longer. Paul knew George in grade school and rode home with him on the bus. They would learn new chords and practice guitars together (even though George was much younger than Paul)...Paul brought George into the group as both he and John wanted another guitar player in the group. They had to cancel part of their 1st tour as George was too young to play in the clubs in Germany...George considered John as his mentor. (this is from memory of a Beatles documentry so don't quote me).

That is quotable & correct, based on the exhaustive biographies of both Lennon & McCartney I've read.

Scott Fraser

George is the under-performer, unfortunately, probably being a bit more stage-shy than the others. He is off-key when singing, and Ringo grimaces every time George makes a mistake, misses a cue, or isn't in tune. Even so, he's a joy to watch.

I think Ringo grimaces because when George doesn't get his part right the main hooks, riffs, chords and leads are not there and they are a must have, if you want to sound like the record...I don't think he was stage shy, he played many of the largest venues ever to include national TV in black and white and got most every song pretty much like the record... most of his harmony and backing vocls are good too. IMHO (especially on This Boy). +1 on him being a joy to watch... :)

Take care, Larryz

In the context of the movie Let It Be this performance was barely enough to get them to play a string of songs together. I think many of the live recordings from their earlier days were powerful. It is surprising that the three vocalists could harmonize like on the studio recordings when they could barely hear through the screaming crowds with the weak PA systems of that period.

Archived