Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP - Sally Ride, 1951-2012

Flemtone

A lot of us grew up watching the Mercury 7 astronauts ride Redstone and Atlas rockets into orbit, watched Gemini astronauts make record-setting flights and Apollo astronauts walk on the moon. Many of us were skeptical of the Space Shuttle program, believing it was a step backwards, but Sally Ride brought a new national interest in the program, becoming a role-model to thousands of young women who, until her flight, had been shut out of the US astronaut program. She lost a 17-month fight with pancreatic cancer yesterday.

Ride, Sally, Ride.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48292643/?ocid=ansmsnbc11

Play. Just play.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many "next generation" astronauts can you name?

She was alway one I could name... RIP Sally

I guess singing "RIP Sally RIP" would be rude..... Too soon?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

When playing Mustang Sally, I have often introduced the song by saying, "here's a song about my favorite astronaut".

She will always be remembered.

RIP, Sally.

cool

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I get very disappointed that few of today's kids know that Sally Ride was the first American woman in space. Especially the girls. They also don't know he name Valentina Tereshkova. Hell too many of them don't know Yuri Gagarin or Alan Shepard for that matter.

The names Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins, Columbia and Eagle should be as well known as Columbus, Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria. But they'll teach my kids nonsense like the Leni Lenape Indians invented football.

Don't get me started on geography...

Push the button Frank.

I get very disappointed that few of today's kids know that Sally Ride was the first American woman in space. Especially the girls. They also don't know he name Valentina Tereshkova. Hell too many of them don't know Yuri Gagarin or Alan Shepard for that matter.

The names Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins, Columbia and Eagle should be as well known as Columbus, Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria. But they'll teach my kids nonsense like the Leni Lenape Indians invented football.

Don't get me started on geography...

Testify!

Play. Just play.

How sad. RIP, Dr Ride.
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I feel that every student studying management, engineering, and data presentation should study the Challenger disaster. That has got to be one of the biggest colossal cluster flops of all time.

I agree about girls having role models like her. I have all boys, but between the Kardashians, Snooki, and every other wardrobe-malfunctioning-temper-tantrum-throwing-party-like-a-rock-star-spoiled-brat-with-a-sex-video females, our girls and young women deserve some better inspirations and influences.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I feel that every student studying management, engineering, and data presentation should study the Challenger disaster. That has got to be one of the biggest colossal cluster flops of all time.

McAuliffe taught at my high school. We were all in complete shock when that happened - one of my classmates ran up to me in the hall between periods and shouted "The shuttle blew up!" - I said "Man, quit being a jerk." He protested the whole way that he wasn't kidding, until we burst into my English teacher's classroom. She was sitting at her desk in tears. All of a sudden, I realized he wasn't being a jerk after all...

Archived