Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ho-ho-ho... now I've got a keytar! :)

I know there's not a lot of love for keytars (or vocoders...) in this forum, but I am an addict. So, here's a short story:

I was at Örebro Blues Jam yesterday - since I know the guy who hosts the event and since there was a re-opening at a newly opened, bigger bar, me and another guy decided to go nuts and bring together a quite large keyboard rig. Usually there's only a Yamaha P-95 (in mono) at the Jam, so there was definetely room for improvements. After some long late night discussions on FaceBook, inspired by a Lord & Wakeman video and after a reality check we decided to keep it reasonably small - he ended up using his Roland XV88 in an L-configuration beside a Motif 6 and a Nord Lead 2 on a Spider stand. I kept it simple with my Stage 2 compact (with Ventilator and SpringKing reverb) and a Korg TR on the K&M 18880 stand. Also - there was some vocoding from my part, coming from my beloved little EHX V256 - AND I got to use his Roland AX1 - triggering various lead sounds in the Korg. The whole evening was a success and many great musicians performed - both musicians, bar owners and audience seemed very happy.

Long story short... the other guy decided to loan me his AX-1, thinking I probably play it more than he does - and I'm pretty sure his right! :) So there will be a lot more Keytar playing in the near future. I've had my eye on the Alesis Vortex, replacing my old and broken Korg 707, but since the Alesis isn't out yet, this will be a very nice replacement in the meantime. :)

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/4237/slundax1.jpg

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8885/bluesjam120505.jpg

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, 4x4 meters (12x12 feet), so I'm actually sitting in fron of the stage :) But it's a big improvement over the old place, where it felt like the whole bar was about that big... this is in the basement of a three floor club, so there's plenty of room for guests. :) Also, after the Jam, before the punk rock band started there was a two hour karaoke session... :) And this will be a returning event every other saturday.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Archived