Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What have I done...

SteveC

Should I ship my current jazz bass (4 string) down for my lesson, or do I use my new 6 string that will be ready for me when I get there? I wouldn't be as familiar with it, but I plan to play 6 a lot more so maybe some insight from him would be useful?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that since Jimmy has become primarily a 6 string player, bringing a 6 string would be a great idea.

If you get lost once in a while, he'd understand.

Did you know that when John Patitucci got his first six string bass he went on tour with Chick Corea the next day bringing only that bass?

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure who is interested, but I'll update this a couple times before I go and after the lesson. It's a couple weeks until lesson time. I've been trying to practice - working basics, scales, positions/patterns, etc. - and developing a list of specifics (with music examples) of things I'd like to address.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I got similar advice from others as well. Baptism by fire - I'll use the 6.

Good idea! I forgot, will this be delivered at the same time as the lesson occurs?

Not sure who is interested, but I'll update this a couple times before I go and after the lesson. It's a couple weeks until lesson time.

Please do. If this forum had a subscribe option, I would do so. Wait, I can add it to my Watched Topics :idea:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

If it doesn't get done (and I'm sure it will) there should be no shortage of sixers you could "borrow" for the lesson once you're there - Gard's and Ryan's for example.

Sounds like the neck should be done by the middle of next week!!

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

If it doesn't get done (and I'm sure it will) there should be no shortage of sixers you could "borrow" for the lesson once you're there - Gard's and Ryan's for example.

Sounds like the neck should be done by the middle of next week!!

It sounds like it'll be done in time - maybe the end of next week or the middle of the following. No doubt Greg has something at the store I can use :-)

So in preparation for my lesson I've been looking through Jimmy's scale book and brushing up on a few "Jacket" tunes we used to do. Man, I never realized how much of this I can play in one position (will be easier with a new 6 string) instead of all the moving around I was doing.

I need to ask him how he makes so much stuff work in one position and over so many chords. I have much to learn.

I need to ask him how he makes so much stuff work in one position and over so many chords.

As well as upsidedown and backwards. :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Man, I never realized how much of this I can play in one position (will be easier with a new 6 string) instead of all the moving around I was doing.

Fingerings can always get more attention, no matter how much one considers them definitive.

I saw Jimmy play with Allan Holdsworth recently and I noticed that his hand was less open and fingers straighter than I consider normal.

This is a thing that I have noticed in a lot of six string players. I assume that needing to mute so many strings and more note choices in place shape hands differently.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

This is a thing that I have noticed in a lot of six string players. I assume that needing to mute so many strings and more note choices in place shape hands differently.

Interesting ... I played a 6-er for a while but did not feel as if I did the instrument justice. For the life of me I do not recall whether or not my left hand technique was different. Probably not :grin:

Steve, when is D-Day, man?

Thanks. If it sounds even close to as good as it looks I should have a great instrument.

I feel a little better about my lesson with Jimmy, but I'm sure it'll hit me a little again on Friday morning.

Lots of connections made today - especially on how to use different scales and modes to solo and come up with grooves, etc. Those one chord solos should sound a lot better after I get some time to work on the seeds that were sown today.

He's a very humble person. I felt totally at ease during our lesson. He was patient, made a couple mistakes, and gave me a few specific things to work on that will eventually help with all aspects of my playing. He encouraged me to try to write music and get a cheap little keyboard to help with that process.

After the scales are learned, some licks are developed and practiced, forget about them and play from the heart. That's what it's all about.

Oh, and the whole upside down and backwards thing wasn't really that hard to adjust to when we were playing stuff.

Oh, and the whole upside down and backwards thing wasn't really that hard to adjust to when we were playing stuff.

Surely you must be joking? :)

Good to hear, Steve! I am thinking of going into town next week to pick up the new Renegade Creation album. Liked the first one well enough but I am hoping the second one will be better :)

• 6 months later...
I received Jimmy's new book for Christmas from my inlaws. Look forward to using it to make connections between the first book (a collection of every scale you could imagine) and what we talked about at my lesson last June.

Archived