Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Messe: Viscount Physis Piano

Tobias Åslund

About the keyboard - it felt nice, but for sure not on par with Roland's and Yamaha's ivory feel keys. It is just a TP40GH wood - no more, no less. Fast repetitions didn't work too good for me, but then again - it was placed very high on a wobbly stand, so I'll wait with a definite review of the keyboard feel.

UI and build quality seems great! I did however expect the display being a touch display, but it wasn't- but I kept pressing it...! :D Too much time spent with my iPhone and my Korg M3 is to blame, I guess... :wave:

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is just a TP40GH wood - no more, no less. Fast repetitions didn't work too good for me, but then again - it was placed very high on a wobbly stand, so I'll wait with a definite review of the keyboard feel.

O.k., thx,- so I was right and the cheaper model for EUR 3,500.- is only a TP40GH (non wood) which makes it less good than a NUMA Concert which will be EUR 1,750.- when released and being cheaper later.

UI and build quality seems great! I did however expect the display being a touch display, but it wasn't- but I kept pressing it...! :D

:D

A.C.

Saw this today - Viscount will announce an upright version of the Physis Piano:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=444713982279593&set=pb.367772246640434.-2207520000.1364313048&type=3&theater

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I watched a vid of the way u can change hammer settings, length etc...pretty amazing. It looks as though u could actually build the sounding piano u wish...love to try this.

THis is Fatar action?

I've heard modeled Rhodes that I think are cool instruments, but I haven't heard one that sounds or works for me like a Rhodes. I prefer sampled Rhodes.

I've come to the conclusion that hybrid is the way to go. Either that, or a huge sample set (multiple gigabytes). I believe this is how it's done on Yamaha's CP1 and CP5, even though they claim it's 100% all modeling.

At least judged by the demos, the Rhodes in this Physis sound like they suffer from the typical problems of physical modeling: they sound lifeless and plastic, weirdly.

The Yamaha CP1/5/50 has the best modeled Rhodes sounds I've heard -- better than GSi, Lounge Lizard, Pianoteq, and better than Kronos.

Isn't the CP50 just sample-based (on Motif sounds, I believe), while the higher-end models share the same piano and EP modeling technology (CP1 has more "preamps"), so it shouldn't be grouped with the other two

But I agree: at least on current hardware keyboards, I like the CP1/CP5 the best. I don't like Roland's SuperNatural EPs (too much "bark", even when modifying, and a strange sonic character), or Korg's Kronos/Krome EPs (there's something weird in the mid section - this was evident on SV1 already).

Isn't the CP50 just sample-based (on Motif sounds, I believe), while the higher-end models share the same piano and EP modeling technology (CP1 has more "preamps"), so it shouldn't be grouped with the other two

No, all three models use SCM modeling. The CP5 does have more of it than the CP50 though (and the CP1 has even more). i.e. the CP5 has two SCM grands (CFIIIS and S6), the CP50 only has one. The CP50 has only one SCM Rhodes, the CP5 has multiple.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived