Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum loop player on iPhone? Recommendations?

Tobias Åslund

Hi!

I am looking for a simple loop player for iPhone that has an included or in-app purchase of drum loops in all kinds of styles (break beats, hip hop, classic "funky drummer" slow electro grooves etc). Ability change tempo would be nice, but not a must if there's a good variety of loops in different bpms.

So far I've only found a couple of cheap ones which is only covers one style, then you have to buy another app for another style. Then there's complete multitrack environments that cost more and are overkill. I just want a reasonably broad library of loops and simple player to play along to.

Is anyone using an app like this or have a recommendation?

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mr. Tobbe,

You might already have it: ...using Itunes. I was looking for a similar thing for gigs with my unplugged jazz duo and trio (no drums) when we do small hit and run restaurant type gigs while off the road. I swore I'd never use anything programmed on a jazz gig, but the economy being what it is, I finally caved in.

I couldn't find any loop players short of drum machine apps. "Funk machine" is kinda retro cool, but a little quirky to program. Ironically it's using retro sounds, but that's part of it's charm. The rest of the other apps sounded cheesy with too much arena style drum type sounds.

Since I had tons of loop libraries anyway, I finally just put together a bunch of drum and/or perc loops each playing for about 6 minutes in my DAW. Put some low key fills every 8 bars. I used a couple of different styles: bossa, jazz, latin etc. - the typical stuff we play on a gig. Made 3 variations of tempos (slow, medium, fast) and it pops up as playlist I can quickly find (and see with that tiny screen!!) in Itunes.

I still try to have a drummer or perc player even on low-rent gigs, but this has worked out on those occasions where it wasn't possible. Surprisingly, the lack of tempo control hasn't been that big of an issue since we mix up the styles.

You could probably do something much more elegant in Garage Band, (if you are comfortable viewing it on iphone) by assembling a bunch of loops as a song. Just solo/unmute the loop you need. You'd also have the ability to change tempos etc. Would be great on an Ipad. I wanted something really simple since it wasn't something I did all the time. I also wanted to focus on playing, without trying to read that tiny screen, and I use my ipad for charts. So the itunes thing worked out decent enough. Hope that helps.

Best,

CC

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Archived