Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is playing NYE?

Ross Brown

Technically, all Champagne is French.

Right. All the California stuff is sparkling wine.

From what I recall of the days when I was making such distinctions, if it gets the girl giggly, Sparkling Muscatel can be Champagne... :facepalm:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One last story about our NYE gig. We got paid by the restaurant manager, and our guitarist was handed a check at the end of the evening. He didn't notice until the next day that the check was made out to our band's name (we don't have a business account). The bank wouldn't cash it as written, and so our guitarist called the manager and asked if he could cut another check made out to our guitarist. "Sure, no problem," was the response.

Yesterday, it was announced that the restaurant was out of business, effectively immediately. Our check, allegedly, is "in the mail."

Uh oh.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

That does not sound good.

Do you still have the original check?

Go back to the bank. Bring a business card from the band or any promo material you have. Open a new account if you have to.

That has worked for me in the past.

Unfortunately, the check will probably bounce.

Sorry to hear this news.

Well, I just heard from our guitarist that we got our dough, so all's well that ends well. We are really sorry this place closed--we had our first paid gig there and played there many times. I have a feeling the owner (who is friends with one of the guys in the band) will re-open under a new name and that we could be back there again.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Yesterday, it was announced that the restaurant was out of business, effectively immediately. Our check, allegedly, is "in the mail."

I believe that's why they invented cash.

Glad you got your money though.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I don't get too worked up about the money. This may sound funny but my philosophy is that if I get stiffed, I will not play there again and I will tell everyone I know (I know a lot of people). I take this philosophy instead of losing sleep, or worse, over scumbags. I never play somewhere that would somehow "require" that I get paid (like lots of expense up front). All of this said, I do not make my primary living by playing bass.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

We're not in it for dough either (probably half our gigs in any given year are benefits or other freebies), but if we have a chance to get paid we certainly don't turn it down. In this case, the owner of the joint offered to pay us.

I always expect to be paid. Very few freebies.... Just if we get stiffed, I don't waste time stressing... Just tell my musician friends what happened..... we all know each other... for the most part.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

If it's a paying gig, I expect to be paid -- in cash, immediately.

If it's a non-paying gig, I don't.

But either way, I expect to know up front.

yes...

It happens a lot that people will ignore the contract and make it out o th band. For this reason, we got a business account. It's pretty simple. You get an application from your secretary of state and pay like a $15 fee o set up a DBA. That's all you need to set up the account. If your band has savings and spends money on marketing and/or gear, you have the added benefit of keeping money separate. You can even set up the band members on online bill pay so that you just deposit th check and schedule payments - done.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It happens a lot that people will ignore the contract and make it out o th band. For this reason, we got a business account. It's pretty simple. You get an application from your secretary of state and pay like a $15 fee o set up a DBA. That's all you need to set up the account. If your band has savings and spends money on marketing and/or gear, you have the added benefit of keeping money separate. You can even set up the band members on online bill pay so that you just deposit th check and schedule payments - done.

I play with people that don't have e mail .... hahahahahahaha.... Online pay... hahahahaha.....

[you ideas are good... just make me laugh, in my pitiful situation]

Well, the only one who has to go online is the one who handles the money. Everybody else gets a check in the mail a few days later from the bank.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived