Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JX-10... worth bidding?

Ian Sharrock

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was another thread on these guys with more pricing info from forumites. Not bothering to look it up - locally in my area for under $400 they seem to sell, but much over that they don't. There was one (with programmer) up on CL for $800 for maybe 1/2 year. I don't know if it ever sold. Then there was one (and the guy said it was working perfectly) for $375 that sold in a few days.

I kinda wish I'd picked that one up.

Personally I wouldn't get one off eBay. Shipping would be extreme, and you really want to check it out in person - with display and key failures being a common problem at this point in their lives.

I donated my JX10 in 1997 when I replaced it with my Ensoniq MR76. I'd had it over 10 years and really enjoyed playing it, but I didn't miss it much. However, I had made a "p-bass" patch (or possibly it had one and I tweaked it) that I still haven't quite recreated the sound of. Anyway I loved its warm rich sound.

Also, by the time I got the MR, I was a bit tired of programming sounds. Maybe if I'd had the PG800 I wouldn't have felt that way!

I sold my JX-10 in the early 90's to fund a D70. At that point I needed the controller set of the D70 to drive a couple of modules.

The JX-10 had a better, more durable keybed, IMO. For small, or quick set up gigs I often played piano from the JX (driving a Yamaha TX-1P). The sounds were great for both layering, and standalone use. I used the JX for about 5 years that way with no problems, covering about half of my gigs with it as 'piano' (about 4-5 times a month). After two years of the same treatment, most of the black keys on my D70 needed to be replaced; that was about a $400 repair.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

It's a basic synth (one LFO and no dedicated PWM, etc etc) and the tone is very 80s. However, I gravitate to this synth quite a lot because of it's basicness. It does have a bit of that fat flavour of mid 80s synths like the Oberheim Matrix 12 but in general it isn't the most flexible or diverse of synths due to lack of LFOs, or interesting routing..

I'm personally hoping someone with know how (there have been a lot of discussions on the JX10 lists about this) will release some kind of upgrade/ROM hack to unleash some new functionality...

I have an MKS-70, which is similar but a rack-mount and absolutely love it. The sounds, as Allan mentions, are good for layering and stand-alone use. I've had it for over twenty years, and it still gets used a lot by me and other people who record at my studio. That, the Korg MS-20, and Nord Electro 2 seem to get a lot of use.

I've decided against bidding for the Super JX.... The midi spec really put me off! (Just need to save up for a Prophet 08 instead)!

Thats a wise choice. The DSI (IMHO) can't do the fat JX type stuff (e.g. patches such as Soundtrack, Voices, etc.) but can do everything else x10 better I think...

a JX8P would be a good keyboard to have though... much better MIDI wise and non of the shared tones problems...

Thats a wise choice. The DSI (IMHO) can't do the fat JX type stuff (e.g. patches such as Soundtrack, Voices, etc.) but can do everything else x10 better I think...

a JX8P would be a good keyboard to have though... much better MIDI wise and non of the shared tones problems...

I doubt a Prophet08 can do the lush pad sounds a MKS70 does.

The speciality of that synth are layered pads in Dual Mode detuned and sounds best w/ the same or slightly different patches assigned to each voice board, the chorus of each voice board adjusted slightly different, 6 voices audio running out of stereo-out A and the other 6 out of stereo out B, both stereo pairs panned different.

If someone doesn´t own a Oberheim Matrix-12 (I have a Xpander only),- the MKS70 does the trick for this kind of sounds and you have 6 voice polyphony in Dual Mode.

I use my MKS70 for these sounds most, but it can also do some great analog bass and bells.

For me, it was easier to sell my MKS80 but couldn´t decide to sell the MKS70 up to now.

Is not that fat, but fatness isn´t wanted always.

For MKS70 and JX10, there are ROM upgrades @Route66Studios.

http://www.route66studios.com/synthparts.html

Scroll down to Roland.

But it´s risky to buy a JX10 or MKS70 today because of the unavailability of a VDF display replacement and/or some very special parts for the display board.

A.C.

I doubt a Prophet08 can do the lush pad sounds a MKS70 does.

The speciality of that synth are layered pads in Dual Mode detuned and sounds best w/ the same or slightly different patches assigned to each voice board, the chorus of each voice board adjusted slightly different, 6 voices audio running out of stereo-out A and the other 6 out of stereo out B, both stereo pairs panned different.

Like I said, I don't think the DSI stuff can do much of the classical JX pad stuff... theres a kind of intrinsic sound to it that few analogues can emulate but I guess its a matter of personal taste really.

I typically turn off the chorus on those 80s synths because it makes everything sound 80s rather than neutral. A trick I LOVE on my JX10 is to set oscs to 4ths or 5ths, turn off the chorus and add a slight bit of randomness to the OSC pitch via the LFO (set to the random waveform). It takes up the LFO for other things but I swear we're getting right into classic Oberheim territory... the kind of sounds which people spend multiples of $1000 to get...

I bought my JX10 because I was thinking about all those classic 80s pads but in reality I would never use them because they now sound too hackneyed.

Its a real mystery why the JX10 goes for the low prices it does... even with the PG800.

One just popped up locally with "lights out in the display" for $250. Does anyone know if its even possible to repair the displays on a JX-10 anymore?

It´s a old VFD display (similar to the Oberheim Matrix-12/Xpander) and extremely hard to find !

While we have display replacements for the Oberheims since some time (not cheap and complete new displayboard incl. new displays) there´s NO replacement for the JX10/MKS70 display.

Those VDF displays are surprisingly reliable and I have never seen one burned out really,- so there´s the chance, the display is dead by other reasons.

In many cases, it could be the display coil driver, which is a hard or impossible to find part too, but it can also be the legs of that part corroded or lost contact only which is the easier fix then.

There might be other malfunction causing a dead display like PSU or other connections.

The JX10, unfortunately, might not be able to operate without the display and w/ a computer editor program depending on OS/firmware.

I have a MKS70 w/ latest OS which offers this possibility for sure.

For me, a MKS70 is the better option.

There´s a thread on gearslutz:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/531488-mks70-display.html

A.C.

The guy claims that only some of the lights are out and you can pretty much figure out what's being displayed. I'm thinking about checking it out.

If only a few lights are off in the VFD display, that means the gas bulbs are burned out and there´s no replacement !

If the complete display fails in one go or starts flickering, there´s the chance for a different reason and a easy fix.

IF you check it out and decide to buy,- 1st double check if available OS upgrades (come in eproms) provide full sysex and MIDI support for remote operation via a editor program.

Some lights/bulbs being dead in the display is just only the beginning,- they will fail all soon.

A.C.

One just popped up locally with "lights out in the display" for $250. Does anyone know if its even possible to repair the displays on a JX-10 anymore?

Since you're in WA I suggest calling Roland Support in Vancouver. They should be able to tell you whether or not it's repairable.

(5480 Parkwood Way, Richmond BC, 604-270-6626)

I wouldn't buy a synth with a dying display without knowing whether it can be fixed.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Since you're in WA I suggest calling Roland Support in Vancouver. They should be able to tell you whether or not it's repairable.

(5480 Parkwood Way, Richmond BC, 604-270-6626)

I wouldn't buy a synth with a dying display without knowing whether it can be fixed.

I doubt they have a complete display or single parts for that board.

Usually, this repair was a exchange of the board.

I bookmarked the last NOS displayboard for Roland MKS70.

It´s USD 499.- and not offered from Roland !

Shipping, customs, VAT and the work comes in addition.

For that money, it´s a better idea to buy a 2nd synth (JX10) or module (MKS70), having more parts in stock then.

Roland is out of stock for parts for much younger synths.

I needed 1 1/2 years to find a NOS mask ROM processor for a D550 and it worked only w/ help of the tech manager of a famous band, stepping Roland on their feet to do a worlwide search for him and that international act.

OTOH and w/ patience, everything appears sooner or later (but has it´s price then).

A good place for Roland parts is Vintage Planet.

http://www.vintageplanet.nl/index.html

A.C.

I can't imagine using the JX10 without the display... though I do tend to program from scratch with my JX10 (with PG800) and not even store patches... I guess I treat it like a non programmable (i.e. as if it had no memories). Not exactly sure why but I kinda like using it like that for some reason...

When I contacted Roland in around 2004 or so, they still had parts for the JX10... though it was things like the aftertouch strip (I think they were on their last one) and the bender... the aftertouch strip was pretty cheap... but I still decided on repairing mine to the best of my ability... not entirely successful...

So like Al Coda says its probably unlikely to find.. but if you can find another defunct unit you might be able to salvage parts...

My JX10 display is as bright as a new one... I don't know if they ever fade but it shows no sign of going... same with my Matrix 12.

When I contacted Roland in around 2004 or so, they still had parts for the JX10... though it was things like the aftertouch strip (I think they were on their last one) and the bender... the aftertouch strip was pretty cheap... but I still decided on repairing mine to the best of my ability... not entirely successful...

It was also 2004 I got the OS upgrade eproms for MKS70 from Roland germany which is relatively close to my home,- and they had the last CEM3360 "white dot" for my MKS80 rev4 which failed.

But now we have 2012 and there were no displays in 2004 already.

I look for Roland MKS, Oberheim and Moog regulary and worldwide @ebay and elsewhere since many years, not for instruments but for parts.

So like Al Coda says its probably unlikely to find.. but if you can find another defunct unit you might be able to salvage parts...

As I said, I´ve found one, but it´s 499.- dollars plus ... :-)

The seller knows what he has and offers.

There was also a company offering survival kits for JX10 and MKS70 at a surprisingly moderate price.

Collected new parts they buyed in large quantities because their main job was/is refurbing vintage synths.

Caps and resistors, diodes, transistors, even VCF/VCA chips,- all not a real prob, but if it comes to display related parts it sucks.

The seller is gone now since month.

There was also a french guy offering used display coil driver, but no return, pulled from whatever unit, no guarantee.

So, buying used parts from people you don´t know is a big risk always.

My JX10 display is as bright as a new one... I don't know if they ever fade but it shows no sign of going... same with my Matrix 12.

That rules for my MKS70 and my Xpander too,- but the day it changes will come .

A.C.

Archived