Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

They STILL kick it!

whitefang

Listening to the radio recently made me think that in spite of their age, style and instrumentation, there are songs that still kick BUTT(see? I CAN appease the autocensor ;))

There are people of all ages from all walks of life that listen to a wide variety of music. And in each genre, there are songs that qualify this category. As I don't LISTEN to every genre, and for the sake of simplicity, I will whittle it down to Rock'n'Roll.

My list is short because I don't want to hog the thread. Plus I simply can't remember every song I've ever heard. If some of you add to the list, you will likely list something either I never heard, or something that will make me think, "DANG! Forgot ALL about THAT one!"

So my short list consists of, in sort of chronological order:

JACKIE WILSON/ "BABY WORKOUT" If you ever came on this forum and posted how much you like the blues, or jazz, or both, and DON'T automatically tap your foot and bob your head upon hearing this gem, you're a LIAR!

The WHO/ "MY GENERATION" MY generation embraced this tune as sort of an athem. Every generation since can do the same! I can't hear this on my home radio or car radio without immediately CRANKING IT UP!

SPENCER DAVIS GROUP/ "GIMME SOME LOVIN'" Same "crank up" effect. I LOVED this tune when it came out, my KIDS loved it just as much 15 years later, and a die-hard hip-hop loving grand nephew, now 18, says he kinda likes it, too.

ARETHA FRANKLIN/ "RESPECT" Sorry, I have nothing but love for ya, Otis Redding, but ya gotta admit. Sister 'Retha OWNS this song!

I didn't include any Beatles tunes as I never thought that they did any real "kick in the pants" type of rock tunes. Just simply excellent, timeless, well constructed songs.

OK forum members. Please lengthen this list.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They STILL kick it!

Yes, yes they do! :cool::rawk:

SPENCER DAVIS GROUP/ "GIMME SOME LOVIN'"

Perhaps the kickin'est listed here so far... ! :rawk:

How's 'bout "Lola" by the Kinks?

"You Really Got Me"?

"All Day and All of the Night"?

Cheap Trick's live "I Want You To Want Me", "Surrender", and "Clock Strikes Ten" from the At Budokan album?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Bob Seger - Old Time Rock and Roll

Mitch Ryder - Rock and Roll Music

MC5 - Kick Out The Jams

Actually, my pick from Seger would be "Heavy Music".

From Ryder, "Jenny Take a Ride".

But the MC5 I wouldn't touch.

Whitefang

I never did like "Radar Love", but it IS the kind of tune that fits this category.

So, double "DANG"

Whitefang

Funny; I've always loved that song, but I feel it DOESN'T fit the topical category- it is a driving, rockin' song, but it doesn't have that continuous lift-off and then on and up to another level and so-on feeling and has some starts and stops that break up the energy to a degree; whereas I'm so glad that "Gimme Some Loving" made it into the OP list; the US-release version is a quintessential example of the breed.

The sense of excitement through tension and release continues without a peak or climax- going yet again to yet another excitement-inducing tension and release set-up, again and again with each segment of the arrangement in turn; it's an eternally upward-spiraling barber-pole of energy, a veritable immortal-coil, if you will. Knowaddamean? ;)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Wow, Caevan, that's pretty analytical. Perhaps a bit too much so.

Kinda like those yacks on the Food Network who can't simply say something tastes good, but rather gets into almost a chemical breakdown: "First, I get the heat of the chilis, then I notice the sweetness of the fruit, THEN the savory goodness of..."

But point taken. I simply loved the tune 'cause it KICKS ASS. Easy as that.

Whitefang

Archived