Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

squeaky damper pedal

ewhirsh

Greetings tecladistas,

If you have ever had a Fatar/acoustic-piano-style/spring-loaded damper pedal make squeaky, creaky sounds every time you depressed it, what have you used to silence the noise?

WD40 seems ineffective in this case. My pa' recommended lithium grease or some other ointment-like lube. Thoughts?

Ballads on solo jazz gigs have gotten really awkward...

CP4, Stage EX 73, Ableton

Me The Beast Orquesta GarDel

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a bunch of these pedals (Kurzweil) and none of them are noisy. Lithium grease very lightly on the bearing surfaces should be good. I would NOT spray WD40 inside any device with electronic contacts (at least be very careful not to let any of it get into the contacts - the older ones used metal to metal, but the newer ones use contacts like keyswitches),

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Greetings tecladistas,

If you have ever had a Fatar/acoustic-piano-style/spring-loaded damper pedal make squeaky, creaky sounds every time you depressed it, what have you used to silence the noise?

WD40 seems ineffective in this case. My pa' recommended lithium grease or some other ointment-like lube. Thoughts?

Ballads on solo jazz gigs have gotten really awkward...

Hate to say this but that happened to my old DP8 (came with an RD700SX), and it turned out to be the beginning of the end. One of the pivots gave out shortly afterward.

That said, I would also mention that WD40 can be found in "pen" form (works kinda like a paint marker). Works very well for more precise application - like inside a pedal where you don't want to blast the stuff indiscriminately. I always keep one in my gig bag now.

-Mike

Archived