Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best online string source?

Bennardo

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try JustStrings.com, who I think probably have the most comprehensive selection of strings of any on-line source and also are easier to browse confidently compared to the big vendors.

I do NOT recommend ordering strings from Musician's Friend, Music123, ZZounds, or ANY of the big box on-line retailers.

Almost every time I have done so, they have sent the wrong gauge, or even a 4-string set vs. a 5-string set (which is a big money ripoff too, considering the huge price differential).

Those sorts of vendors don't understand accessories; only big ticket items. They're sloppy as a result. In many cases the websites have incorrect or missing information or a mismatch of the item name and its description and/or photo. It's no wonder that mistakes often happen in shipping.

Stick with a strings-only vendor, as you have already suggested by posting the question in the first place.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I've had success with Naked Strings--you can build your own sets of strings with the exact gauges you want, which is a nice feature. The strings are very inexpensive and I have liked the tone so far. I will say they are a bit limited in that they only (so far) offer round-wound strings and not flat wounds. You can find them on www.nakedstrings.com.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

If I'm not buying from a non-chain brick'n'mortar, I get my strings from juststrings.com. I've ordered from them several times and the orders have always worked out well. Also, my orders are often not simple as for my 5-string fretted I don't order sets but rather individual strings because I want specific gauges.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

i like bigcitystrings.com for one simple reason. they have the best prices of anyone on labella hard rockin' steel sets. and it's not a hassle to get the extra long, so i can string through body on my 35" scale cirrus BXP 4. i haven't compared their prices on other strings or their flexibility.

musiciansfriend.com for me. No shipping, no tax, no minimum purchase amount and I have had zero problems with them.

The local stores never have what I want for my SR5. I like heavier gauge five string sets (normally I get EB Power Slinkys) and if a local store even has a 5 string set in stock it is usually a lighter gauge.

Over the years It seems like every time I find a set that I really really like, I can never find them again. I don't go through a whole lot of strings though. Like many other things, footwear for example, if I find something I really like, I go back and by a second before they change something.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Over the years It seems like every time I find a set that I really really like, I can never find them again. I don't go through a whole lot of strings though. Like many other things, footwear for example, if I find something I really like, I go back and by a second before they change something.

I, on the other hand, stray occasionally, but I keep coming back to the same strings -- D'Addario XL 170s -- sound great, last a long time and very consistent from set to set.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived