Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Squier gear

5 string Mike

Hey all,

Was checking out some things and found where Squier has a couple new additions to their lineup- a VM Jazz 5 string and a VM Mustang bass

I want to try out the 5er- as good as the VM Duncan pickups sound in the 4 string, I'd like to try the 5. It also appears to have the 1.850 nut width with the 4+1 headstock- usually the 4+1 has the 2.00 nut

I'd like to try the Mustang too- I've been thinking of getting a short scale for when I need something smaller for travel.

Has anyone seen these on the shelves yet?

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be curious about the 5-stringer as my love for the 4-string Jag has me wondering whether a Jazz neck "needs" to be just four strings in order to really nail the vintage vibe.

Can't remember if these two were linked earlier when some of us started discussing the slew of new Fenders and Squiers a few weeks ago, but I suspect Fender has been leaking these in trickles vs. announcing them all in one fell swoop.

The VM Mustang presumably is a short scale, and might be a good rec for beginners, children, and anyone too small to play a full scale bass, as well as those simply looking for something a bit different or to expand their palette.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 2 weeks later...

Some of these are on sale until end of December, even though they're new models.

It's a nationwide sale that can be found at Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, or any other dealer -- the rebates are instant and noted in the on-line price.

The sale covers select models from Fender and Squier, both old and new. It does not run across the entire product line. In some cases it is colour-specific.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived